Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe airventure

Safe airventure

As for as I know there were no serious crashes or injuries as Oshkosh, I hope so.

Serious with regard to injuries? No. Serious in regard to safety/airframe damage, HELL YES.
    We had a Bo colapse the gear due to wake turbulance (at least that's what the pilot told me) with the trimotor close to the ground. There was a "minor" midair between an RV and a spam can (Mooney?) which resulted in the sheering off of an antenna but no other real damage.

An RV-8 pancaked into the runway which flattened the gear with major damage to the aircraft.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 07-31-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

There is video of the Bo. Wake turbulence . . . hah!

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    There is video of the Bo. Wake turbulence . . . hah!
    Yeah... that was my thought, as well.

No fatalities or even serious injuries is a safe week for 10.000 planes. Unlikely that any 10,000 cars in a city would better that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    No fatalities or even serious injuries is a safe week for 10.000 planes. Unlikely that any 10,000 cars in a city would better that.
    Depends on whether you filed a flight plan or not

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    No fatalities or even serious injuries is a safe week for 10,000 planes.
    The vast majority of those aircraft were piston-powered fixed wing aircraft.

According to the 2017 FAA General Aviation survey, there are 143,000 active piston-powered fixed-wing aircraft in the US. That means about 7% of the airplanes in the US showed up in one tiny corner of Wisconsin last week. If the same proportion of the US's autos showed up at, say, the Daytona races, they'd have to find parking for about 19 million cars....

Ron "I want the meter concession" Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The vast majority of those aircraft were piston-powered fixed wing aircraft.

According to the 2017 FAA General Aviation survey, there are 143,000 active piston-powered fixed-wing aircraft in the US. That means about 7% of the airplanes in the US showed up in one tiny corner of Wisconsin last week
    Hey, hey hey, let's not get xenophobic about this. Of those 10,000 airplanes, about 1500 were Canadian registered. So your math of 7% must be revised downward to 5.9%.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Hey, hey hey, let's not get xenophobic about this. Of those 10,000 airplanes, about 1500 were Canadian registered. So your math of 7% must be revised downward to 5.9%.
    You're absolutely right, Floats. Guess we'd have to assume there were some Manic GTs, Lady Nivas, Campagnas, and Volvo Canadians in that Dayton parking lot. :-)

Ron Wanttaja