Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf carts and scooters

We were there from Sunday-Thursday this year, and enjoyed it as always. Although perhaps because I understand that attendance was up this year, I noted a substantial increase in golf carts and the sort of scooters intended for disabled folks. Many carts were operated by people with no visible badges or emblems, and I strongly suspected that many operating scooters were really not justified in doing so. It was frankly pretty chaotic at times.

As a tram conductor I can attest to the number of 'yoots' scuttling about in golf carts on apparent joy rides all over the grounds. Not once did I see any stopping to give an elderly person a courtesy lift. May well be that they do, I just never saw it.

I'm 70 wih a bum knee myself and might need to rent one of those mobility scooters one year myself. I DO wish they'd tell the renters to stay the heck to the side of the roads, not drive or stop right in the middle of the pavement. Makes navigating trams a wee bit tense sometimes. Kudos to our tram drivers incidents don't happen.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Vehicle traffic was my only real complaint from this year. It's getting ridiculous. Seems the vendors let their pals barrow the golf carts and UTV's to joy ride around. At the night airshow it looked like an ATV park in vintage from all of them sitting there. Several patrons were as pissed as I on Saturday while trying to tip toe around the water puddles everywhere just to have a truck/atv/utv/golf cart fly by and spray your or make a wake and flood your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post

i do know that a youth got his foot run over, but not by a golf cart — it was by one of the Model T’s. I think they were a bit more inconvenient this year.
    What is the deal with the Model-Ts? Are they owned/operated by Ford?I know they are here every year, but they did seem a bit more obnoxious this year. We seen one honking at a group of people for not moving out of the way for them to overtake, I didnt realize they had right of way??

The golf cart and scooter situation is one that is discussed every year, and there is never going to be a good solution because EAA doesnt have the security manpower to enforce it. When rental scooters are available there will always be those who rent them out of convenience rather than need. And Im sure there is an ADA violation waiting to happen if EAA tries to enforce it otherwise.

How about the Segways? Did not see many but did see them. I would assume that they fall into the same category as bikes after the event get's serious on Monday morning. Also, the E Cigarette ban seems to fall on some deaf ears as they are all over the place on the flight line.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Cars and golf carts and gators were under control, but it appeared (at least down in Vintage) that the EAA completely gave up on the ban on things like segways, electric scooters (you know those Lime/Lyft/Bird-style things), bikes, hoverboards, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Let's not rush to judgement. Can't judge a book by it's cover. Young people can also have mobility issues that are not visible. At the rental place outside the main gate, there's no shortage of mobility scooters, most people rent them online in advance.

And yes, I'm one of those Oshkosh diehards who's getting up in age who may need one in the future. I'm going to be 70 in 2 days, thankfully I have no mobility issues. I walk a lot and everywhere at Osh, don't use the trams.

I have an app on my phone that records steps and Kms travelled. For example on Wed. July 24 at Osh I took 20,046 steps and walking distance was 10.9 Kms.
    I think there is a misunderstanding here Floats, I understand about young handicap also, but I saw a lot of people with scooters, park them, get off and go to meet friends, or eat, then get on and ride away. The system is being misused by a lot of people. If you have issues, then yes, I agree on the use, but to take away from someone that actually needs them is wrong.

I was surprised to see the number of people on Segways and bicycles on the Airventure grounds. Those are an accident waiting to happen. Most of the golf carts I saw had full seats. The Model Ts took an odd route through the Warbirds going past the Warbirds in Review area. There was a nice crowd gathered during the presentation on the Twin Mustang that kept getting yelled at by Warbird Security because there were cars coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    I think there is a misunderstanding here Floats, I understand about young handicap also, but I saw a lot of people with scooters, park them, get off and go to meet friends, or eat, then get on and ride away. The system is being misused by a lot of people. If you have issues, then yes, I agree on the use, but to take away from someone that actually needs them is wrong.
    I have a disease called adhesive arachnoiditis. Google it and be glad you don't have it. I use my own mobility chair, but do leave it at times to use the porta potty, look inside booths, maybe even the hangers. But usually am in quite a bit of pain once I get back in it. It reclines since I can't sit for very long periods of time. If you saw me, you would think I don't really need it. You'd be terribly wrong. Given my druthers I'd rather be walking around all day as you do. But instead of sitting/laying all day, I try to get as much activity as the back will allow. Can't judge a book by it's cover....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk