Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time aircraft purchase.

First time aircraft purchase.

I am looking at purchasing my first aircraft. I am a 121 pilot with about 9000 hrs total time. That said, it has been years since I have been in a light single. I am currently considering an inexpensive Kitfox 1. Plane has about 190 hrs total time with a Rotax 532 in it. Current owner does not have complete logs but does have logs since 2007 when he purchased the plane. I am planning on taking an A&P friend of mine to look at it.

A few questions,

What paperwork will I need for an experimental aircraft (airworthiness, bill of sale, logs ect)

My friend does not have a lot of recent experience with experimentals, is there anything specific that we should be looking for? Corrosion, covering condition, spars, ect. Anything specific with the Rotax 532?

Any other suggestions for a prospective first time buyer.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Should always do a title search. (unless it is cheap enough you just want to part it out)
    The Title search provides the (or all) current legal owner(s) (all must sign) and any liens. Once I bought a plane with a lien and I didn't do the search. Took a few months to clear up.
    The 532 is outdated but should run fine if you can work with and maintain the points ignition.
    Old engines usually need new seals or there is a risk it might run lean if the seals leak.
    Logs are only required to be saved for one year (with exceptions, see FAR 91).
    The little wood sticks that hold the flaperons sometimes break in the wind if tied outside. Might be some upgrades on that.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 07-05-2019 at 10:39 PM.

First time aircraft purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Should always do a title search. (unless it is cheap enough you just want to part it out)
    The Title search provides the (or all) current legal owner(s) (all must sign) and any liens. Once I bought a plane with a lien and I didn't do the search. Took a few months to clear up.
    The 532 is outdated but should run fine if you can work with and maintain the points ignition.
    Old engines usually need new seals or there is a risk it might run lean if the seals leak.
    Thanks Bill, pardon my ignorance, but where is the best place to do a title search. I’m trying to look on the FAA site, but it seems to be down. Yes it is quite cheap, but I do plan on flying it for a while until the wife and I outgrow it.
    Last edited by Jessewukie; 07-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.

I don't know any now. They used to advertise in Trade-A-Plane. They must be in Oklahoma City to do the search at the FAA Registration center.

AOPA might have guidance or a service to handle the transfer. I'd get an expert in the type to inspect it either pre-buy or pre-flying it myself.

Don’t know if you have to be an AOPA member to access this but AOPA has a lot of info on buying an airplane:

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/buying-an-aircraft
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

From the buyer you need to get a bill of sale (FAA form 8050-2) signed (get two copies) by the last registered owner, the Airworthiness certificate including operating limitations, and the logbooks. You send the bill of sale to the FAA along with a new registration application (8050-7). A copy of the registration application makes it legal to fly until the FAA mails the actual registration back.

I've never done a title search and never had a problem, but the kinds of airplanes I've bought don't lend themselves to financing, and the Kitfox is probably in the same category.

I'm not intimately familiar with the Kitfox, but it's much like any other tube and fabric plane with the same kinds of issues.

The 532 is a good engine but it is rather different from typical GA 4-stroke engines. As BB said ignition and seals are the biggies. If it's currently flying (running) and the EGT is good it's probably OK. They're fairly simple to maintain or overhaul.

If you do a Google search for "Buying a used homebuilt" you will get multiple links to magazine articles, forum posts, ect. Lots of information there, you will have to decide what is useful and what is not. In any case it should give you some ideas and bring up issues you hadn't thought about. You might also get in touch with a tech counselor at your local EAA chapter and see if anyone there has specific knowledge on the Kitfox or engine your looking at. The Teamkitfox.com forum would also be a good resource. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info.

Does the aircraft have a current registration? If it's outside of the "drop dead" date on the FAA registry, you have to start all over again. If still a valid registration, no prob, just transfer.

One thing for homebuilts: You will need to ensure that seller has, and that you receive, the set of operating limitations issued by the FAA or DAR at the time the AW cert was granted. Initially used for Phase 1 testing, but they're still applicable for Phase II (anything after phase 1).

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton