Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping for final 3 nights?

Camping for final 3 nights?

I would love to make it our to AirVenture this year; however, I would only be able to make it out Friday night through show close Sunday. How is it getting a campsite on the tail end?

Probably pretty good. Which sort of camping (aircraft or in Scholler)? I can tell you down in Vintage, people are already heading home by Wed-Thu, so there's lots of backfill spaces available.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Which sort of camping (aircraft or in Scholler)?
    Yeah, I could've included that! LOL. It would be tent camping in Scholler. My kids and I would drive up straight from my office on Friday, arriving about 6pm'ish.

Plenty of space after Wednesday night. Still lots of fun to be had too.

Sunday....you have the place to yourself.

In the past we usually arrive on Wednesday and there are spots starting to open up that morning. It seems like Thursday and Friday a lot of people start to bug out.

Last year on Saturday the event just felt dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S View Post
    In the past we usually arrive on Wednesday and there are spots starting to open up that morning. It seems like Thursday and Friday a lot of people start to bug out.

Last year on Saturday the event just felt dead.
    Which is to say, dead for Oshkosh, still has 5 times the aircraft as any local airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Which is to say, dead for Oshkosh, still has 5 times the aircraft as any local airshow.
    Yeah, I was there, and "felt dead" didn't even begin to enter my mind as a description.

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    Yeah, I was there, and "felt dead" didn't even begin to enter my mind as a description.
    I probably should have described Saturday more as the show is winding down instead of "felt dead" (I think my feet were dead after walking 10+ miles a day!). Last year by Saturday a lot of planes had already left or were leaving. The North 40 was emptying out pretty fast. I think the crowd at the event was more of the general public versus aviation enthusiast. There is still plenty to see and do, but Saturday is the end of a long week and those who are left at that point are ready to go home.

Still, if that is one of the only days you can attend the event then you will have a great time.

Frame of reference is kinda important...
    There tends to be quite a bit of churn mid week as the first half participants leave and the second half participants arrive. Mid week on you should have zero problem finding a campsite, and potentially a really good one if your timing is right. If not, well, wear comfy shoes. (and use the campground bus) Not to worry; you will be accommodated and have a blast.