Thread: Sunday ,Monday ,Tuesday ,What are some must things to see ?

Sunday ,Monday ,Tuesday ,What are some must things to see ?

My friend and I will be at Oshkosh from July 21,22,23 and leaving early on the 24 to head back to Winnipeg. We are into older stuff like WW2 and maybe the early Jet age stuff. We are only there for the 2 full days Monday and Tuesday. What are some of the must see stuff we shouldn't miss . We are coming from Canada for the first time and probably wont be back do to health and insurance reasons. We are mobile so getting around isn't a problem. We are camping at Camp Schroller . any advice on where we should try to set up with our tents arriving late Saturday or very early sunday AM and some must see stuff . Thanks in advance for any advice

On Saturday/Sunday, you should definitely head to RWY 9/27 (at the north end of the field) to watch the mass arrivals for a little while. It's pretty awesome. Even better if you happen to have a portable radio that picks up the aviation frequencies. The (usually) organized chaos is a treat to watch.

Sunday is a little bit tough to hit the booths/displays because the vendors are trying to get the final touches done for setups. Then there is always the opening keynote at the Theatre in the Woods.

Definitely look at the airshow schedule (on the EAA Airventure site, news section) to decide if you want to spend the late afternoon on the flight line. You can make a judgement call if there is anything in particular you really want to watch.

Otherwise, you should DEFINITELY spend time in Warbirds. There are BUNCH of planes up there. It's toward the north end of the field, so you can either hoof it or take a shuttle. For early jet age stuff, check out the Mig behind one of the older buildings near the flight line, show center, near-ish to the control tower. (Someone here will correct me and mention the specific building.)

In terms of where to set up, if you arrive late Saturday/early Sunday, you'll have a walk to the airfield for sure. Keep in mind that the check-in office closes (as does the gate) at midnight. So if you get there at 12:15, you'll likely be sleeping in the parking lot.

Adding: it's a shame you can't hang out until Wednesday night. That's one of the big airshows, and includes a night airshow and some pretty awesome fireworks. Really great time.

The show has gotten so big it has become events within events. Just accept you can’t be everywhere. If you have limited time pick the area you want to cover the most. I think you should walk the flight line at least once; there’s always a gem parked in each area. Sounds like you can skip most of the open air exhibitors unless you’re airplane shopping. The exhibit buildings give a break from the weather but get stuffy in the afternoons if it’s hot.
    You will be very happy spending the majority of both days in warbirds area. Enjoy��
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

> On Saturday/Sunday, you should definitely head to RWY 9/27

I find 18/36 to be much more entertaining as they often land on both 36L and 36R (usually a taxiway) at the same time. Plus OP expressed an interest in warbirds, they usually come in via the "warbird arrival" which most often terminates on 18/36.

The professional pilots (business jets, IFR arrivals) and the like are using 9/27, too. The 18/36 crowd is mostly amateurs and it shows.

The vendor areas and all 4 Exhibit Hangars are pretty much off-limits/ closed to the public Saturday and Sunday - that is done to provide them unrestricted access to assemble the madness in an amazing 48 hours of non-stop frenzy.

Trams will be running but the Yellow is re-routed a bit to skirt the main exhibitor area as noted above. Some food vendors may be open early. So watching arrivals and ground movement of aircraft is a popular pastime till the show opens Monday morning.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    > On Saturday/Sunday, you should definitely head to RWY 9/27

I find 18/36 to be much more entertaining as they often land on both 36L and 36R (usually a taxiway) at the same time. Plus OP expressed an interest in warbirds, they usually come in via the "warbird arrival" which most often terminates on 18/36.

The professional pilots (business jets, IFR arrivals) and the like are using 9/27, too. The 18/36 crowd is mostly amateurs and it shows.
    While 9/27 is the preferred runway for mot turbine/warbird/IFR arrivals, it basically has as many "amateur" arrivals as 18/36. The last few years it seems to me that 9/27 has had more stupid pilot trick type arrivals than 18/36.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by thesawch View Post
    My friend and I will be at Oshkosh from July 21,22,23 and leaving early on the 24 to head back to Winnipeg. We are into older stuff like WW2 and maybe the early Jet age stuff. We are only there for the 2 full days Monday and Tuesday. What are some of the must see stuff we shouldn't miss . We are coming from Canada for the first time and probably wont be back do to health and insurance reasons. We are mobile so getting around isn't a problem. We are camping at Camp Schroller . any advice on where we should try to set up with our tents arriving late Saturday or very early sunday AM and some must see stuff . Thanks in advance for any advice
    First, welcome to our little reunion!
    So, to address what you asked, check out the warbirds area at the north end. They have a dedicated tour tram ride through the area that will afford you a quick overview to perhaps help you plan where to spend more significant drooling time. Also, there will be several aircraft highlighted with presentations in front of bleachers during the days you are there.
    The museum has some real gems, including an XP-51, NA-50, and Mossie. Highly recommended, as well the pioneer Airport hangars across the grass runway from the museum. Lots of old and historic aircraft to keep you busy for a while.
    Lately, Old Rhinebeck and Kermit Weeks have both been bringing WWI aircraft (both replicas and real 100 year old aircraft!) to the convention, but I don't know what they might be doing this year. I think the good folks building a whole air force's worth of replicas in NZ will be bringing some of their works as well. They tend to set up near airshow center, kinda-sorta near the Vintage Aircraft Association's barn. Of course, the whole vintage area is a giant candy store for old airplane enthusiasts.
    The convention grounds tram system will connect all the above except the museum and Pioneer Airport, but it will take you to the main bus park, where you can catch the bus to the museum.
    You will not get to immerse yourself into a large percentage of our convention in the time youn have available, but if you do come up with some left over after your must-sees, you might consider taking a bus out to the seaplane base just because, or at least ride the tram the length of the grounds just to try to get a handle on the scope of it all. You can read all the articles written, but until you actually cover the ground yourself, it is really hard to grasp the magnitude of our little annual reunion.
    You are going to have a blast!

I always enjoy the Warbirds in Review presentations. There are two each day, a morning and afternoon one each with different aircraft. Monday is the Mosquito at 10:00 and the Fairey Firefly at 1:00. Tuesday is the T28/T34 and Bud Anderson's Old Crow Mustang(s). Arrive early if you want a seat!

Not much advise yet on where to set up if arriving Saturday/Sunday. I have always arrived on Friday and been able to find nice spots in 101 Woods Northeast of registration. By Sunday I am always wondering where in the world I would go if arriving now?! It looks to me like they eventually keep getting pushed south and there are some new facilities down there this year.

From your info it sounds to me like you will want to catch the warbirds area and if you get into 101 Woods area that is a little closer. I would highly recommend blocking out at least 3-4 hours for the museum. It is FULL of interesting displays every year. It is a good place to spend either a hot afternoon or a stormy day too.

Have fun!