Thread: Printing AirVenture schedule from website

Printing AirVenture schedule from website

When attempting to print the AirVenture schedule from the EAA website, I get something similar to the attached example. It doesn't print the entire web page, and if there's a link contained on the page, I get the actual text of the web address associated with that link. I'm thinking this might have something to do with the recent refresh of the EAA website? Is there something I can change on my end to correct this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Troy -

What browser are you using? It looks like Chrome in particular does this, seemingly as a feature, based on my admittedly brief investigation. If you're using Chrome, I found a workaround for you that isn't all that pretty, but should work on any site where you run into the problem.

1. In Chrome, press <CTRL>-<SHIFT>-I on Windows, or <CMD>-<OPT>-I on Mac
    2. You'll see a window full of stuff open at the bottom of the screen
    3. In that window, click Rendering at the top
      1. If you don't see a Rendering option, look for a "hamburger" menu (3 dots), click that, then click More Tools, then Rendering

4. Once you're in the Rendering menu, scroll all the way down to the bottom
    5. Look for Emulate CSS Media
    6. On the pulldown menu that defaults to No emulation, click the arrow and choose Screen
    7. Print the page you want to print

A lot of effort, I know, but it should get you what you need. Unless you're not using Chrome, in which case I just wasted both our time!

Hope this helps -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal,

I'm actually using Firefox, but I don't think your solution is a waste of either of our times. I tried this on Firefox, and it does have the Ctrl-Shift-I option available, but I was not able to find either the Rendering menu or the 3 dots. Wondering if it's maybe called something else in Firefox? I'll definitely play around with it more when I have some time and see if I can figure something out.

In the meantime, I figured an alternate solution would be to copy and paste the text into a Word document. Definitely not as elegant as looking at the website, but it seemed to get the job done.

Thanks so much for your help!

Troy

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Troy -

I'm very happy to help! And I was just kidding, of course - trying to lend a hand to a fellow member is NEVER a waste of time! I hope you took that in the spirit in which it was intended.

Your solution is nice and clean and pretty straightforward, but I did find another alternative in Firefox that you might want to try:

1. When you're on the page you want to print, look for 3 dots in a horizontal row right at the end of the address bar.
    2. This is the page actions menu - click it and then choose Take a Screenshot.
    3. The first time you do this, it'll offer up a tutorial - up to you if you want to go through that or skip it.
    4. It will give you a choice - Save Full Page or Save Visible. Choose Save Full Page.
      1. This is the elegant part - by saving the full page, you don't have drag and scroll to copy text that's off screen, or take multiple traditional screenshots and then try to stitch them together, etc.

5. Click download, it will generate a .PNG file that you can open and print, and it will exactly match what you see on screen.

I hope this is of some use! Regardless, my joke yesterday notwithstanding, I've learned a couple of new browser tricks.

Best -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

If you're using Windows 10, one of the recent "updates" includes a screen capture utility called "Snip & Sketch" which has several options for capturing and saving screen images, and I have found it to be quite useful on several occasions.
    Dave