Thread: Food/ groceries at camp Scholler

Food/ groceries at camp Scholler

Hi , first timers to Oshkosh on July 20 th to July 24 . My question is can you buy steak and other decent supplies at one of the stores at camp Schroller or should we try to buy our meat and perishables before we arrive and keep buying ice to keep them fresh for the 4-5 days . Any camping tips greatly appreciated . Also we are bring 2 bikes to bomb around the camp and get to the show in case we are buried deep in the back 40 . Is that a good idea ??? Thanks form Canada

Quote Originally Posted by thesawch View Post
    Hi , first timers to Oshkosh on July 20 th to July 24 . My question is can you buy steak and other decent supplies at one of the stores at camp Scholler or should we try to buy our meat and perishables before we arrive and keep buying ice to keep them fresh for the 4-5 days . Any camping tips greatly appreciated . Also we are bring 2 bikes to bomb around the camp and get to the show in case we are buried deep in the back 40 . Is that a good idea ??? Thanks form Canada
    Long-time Camp Scholler camper here. There's a good grocery store, a Pick 'N Save, about a mile from the field. I've done my grocery shopping there. The campground stores are nothing to write home about.

(Regarding being buried deep in the back 40, do check out the Camp Scholler map this year to see which kinds of rigs are allowed where.)

Quote Originally Posted by thesawch View Post
    Hi , first timers to Oshkosh on July 20 th to July 24 . My question is can you buy steak and other decent supplies at one of the stores at camp Schroller or should we try to buy our meat and perishables before we arrive and keep buying ice to keep them fresh for the 4-5 days . Any camping tips greatly appreciated . Also we are bring 2 bikes to bomb around the camp and get to the show in case we are buried deep in the back 40 . Is that a good idea ??? Thanks form Canada
    The Bike is a LIFE SAVER, They have a Large Bike parking area by the main gate when you go to the Flight Line. As for the stores, I agree the local stores are very good for shopping for supplies. The Stores on the airport are good for supplies such as beverages and ice,etc.etc.

Have a great time....

The camp stores (now called the Red One stores) have a small amount of food. I'd definitely bring in stuff for the first night or so as it's a pain going off field right from the git go.
    As pointed out, you can bike up the frontage road of the highway and once you get north of the airport proper there are groceries, etc... readily available.

Not sure what you're travelling in, but if you're tent camping or pulling a trailer, you can always just take the car out to town.

The camp stores last year had more grocery staples than in the past. I saw a surprising selection of hamburger meat and even steaks. It looked like they were trying to provide more on site options for those cooking at their campsite.
    Brock
    C172H | Central IL
    EAA #1001980

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    10 Tips for Camping at AirVenture link
    8. Think about bringing ear plugs if you’re a light sleeper.

Wellness Tips to Survive AirVenture link

I volunteered with a guy one year that said' He finally figured out how to sleep great at AirVenture.
    He purchased a campsite with electricity and put a air conditioner in his tent along with a air mattress.
    As for keeping food cold, bring a small fridge and plug it in.

You will find coffee, fresh baked goods, meats,
    produce, and health and camping supplies at
    Red One Camp Stores.

Tall Pines Cafe
    is suppose to have the best breakfast at AirVenture.

Bikes to bomb around is a good idea, but you have to park them at the
    bike corral at the Admission gate that is located south of Exhibit hangar D.
    You should lock them up in the bike corral just to be safe.
    No bikes allowed on the Show grounds.

Bring a radio and tune-in to EAA Radio 96.5 FM / 1210 AM Something to listen to at the campsite. Digital Dave, Fast Eddie & Stuck Mike Programming starts 7AM Monday.
    Bring a handheld scanner or buy this for your smart phone LiveATC Apps LiveATC App has a slight delay.
    Get the EAA AirVenture App
    EAA Radio & Airventure Texts Alerts, I believe are also included with the EAA AirVenture App, not sure?

AV 2019 Grounds map North is Left on map.
    Aerial Photo looking South
    AV 2019 EAA Visitor & Camper's Guide > (To download pdf click on arrow upper LH corner of Flip Book)

I usually freeze about 4 bottles of water the night before,
    and put them in a large plastic zip lock bag, to drink when
    I'm walking the show grounds during the day.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 07-11-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Andof course, you can pick up a bike dirt cheap at the goodwill store on the north side of the field, and leave it with them at the end of the week.

The Kobussen folks run buses and vans to the grocery stores. The bus is free. If you want to hire a van, that costs $$.

Uber is also an option.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    The Red One Markets in Camp Scholler do offer many of the grocery store staples you might be looking for and are a short walk or bike ride away from your camp site. Here's more information: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...red-one-market