Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to solo for students

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm learning to fly at 31 while working a full-time job, my CFI suggested I was ready to solo on a windy day at 14 hours, but then the weather went bad, and my CFI took an airline job resulting in me not flying for 6 weeks and changing CFIs. I finally soloed at 20 hours.

Now I am facing another week of bad weather @31 hours, but I am trying to do what I can to maintain momentum so I can sit my check ride next month.

I soloed in just under 10 hrs. in 1967. But the interesting thing is that on my "oral" part of the Private Pilot exam, the DPE asked me, "How many hours are required to take the Private Pilot check ride?" My answer was, of course, "40!". Then he asked, "How many hours do you have?" My answer, "40!" To which he replied, "Actually you don't have 40 hours. Someone made a mathematical error when adding up your time." My heart immediately hit the floor. He then asked, "Did you log your time coming over here this morning?" "No!" "How long did it take you?" "How much do I need?" "You need .3 hrs." "Yep, that's how long it took!" "That's what I figured. Let's go fly."
    Turned out to be a great day! I passed.
    Last edited by Mel; 02-19-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Nowadays I'm not instructing primary students but I have trained quite a few pilots. When people ask how long it takes to solo the answer starts with, "That depends". If the goal is to train someone to do three take offs and landings then for most it would only take a few hours, say 3 to 5 to be on the safe side. I would use a simple airplane like a Champ with no radios and only an airspeed indicator, altimeter and slip indicator at a local grass uncontrolled airstrip with little or no traffic. You wouldn't even need to train the student how to deal with emergencies. If anything happens, like a fire or engine failure, just turn toward the runway and land. Remember, the student will not leave the traffic pattern on the solo flight. Piece of cake. However, the goal in flight training is not to solo. The goal is to become a certified pilot. Most of the training takes place in planes like a Cessna 172 with a couple of radios, a transponder, lots of lights, and a 6 pack of flight instruments. The student must learn how to use all the equipment on the plane, deal with equipment failures and other emergencies, how to operate in and out of the airport environment as well as deal with ATC. That's why you see the first solo take place about the twelfth lesson in the training syllabus. If you keep your eye on the goal, becoming a certified pilot, then the first solo is just another step in the process at a point which will move the student along to the goal efficiently and safely.

Quote Originally Posted by thisadviceisworthles View Post
    I'm learning to fly at 31 while working a full-time job, my CFI suggested I was ready to solo on a windy day at 14 hours, but then the weather went bad, and my CFI took an airline job resulting in me not flying for 6 weeks and changing CFIs. I finally soloed at 20 hours.

Now I am facing another week of bad weather @31 hours, but I am trying to do what I can to maintain momentum so I can sit my check ride next month.
    Unfortunately all this is pretty typical during flight training. That's why the average student takes something like 60 hours to get a PP certificate rather than the 40 hours required by the FAR. Stick with it, keep your eye on the goal and you'll get there.

Tralika, I may have not mastered that complex Cessna, but believe it or not, when I soloed, a few decades back, old Ben Franklin had already done his experiment with electricity in the lightning storm, along with Edison and a few others and electricity. was not unknown. In fact the Cherokee 140 that I soloed in had a radio, a transponder, and lights as well as at least 6 instruments plus adf and vor just like the Cessna you may be used to. And I was able to take it around the pattern 3 times and land just as I had already done dozens of times before with the instructor in the plane. It wasn't any different with him standing beside the tower than sitting beside me in the seat. As for emergencies, well I had the same number as when dual which was none, and as for dealing with ATC, again I just called the tower same as all the previous flights. I took my private test after 43 hours, and that included flith into what now is class B, (TCA) as well as night flying and spin training. I cant imagine what else a student would need to spend an additional 40% more hours training to take a simple flight test which is only going to cover things you have already done dual with your CFI.

I always tell people what does it matter? Nobody cares how much pre-solo dual you had in the long run.
    I don't even know the number in my case. OK, I just dug my first log book out... looks like 12.6 hours before the lesson I solo'd and probably a little in that because the lesson is like 1.6 and the solo time is only .7.

All I can remember is dumping the instructor out on the taxiway with instructions for three full stops. That and the tower calling me as I was turning crosswind and asking "Doesn't it fly a lot better without that fat guy in the right seat?"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    All I can remember is dumping the instructor out on the taxiway with instructions for three full stops. That and the tower calling me as I was turning crosswind and asking "Doesn't it fly a lot better without that fat guy in the right seat?"
    Very unusual(in my part of the world)to do three full stop circuits as first solo. The norm is just one and the smile on your face becomes permanent.

Very funny tower call.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. My instructor weighed 260 lbs. When he got out that C-150 "jumped" off the ground.

For the student pilot with 31 hours. Be sure and make the most of your intro to basic instrument flight. It may not seem so now, but it will likely become very important as you start flying places after getting your private. Real IMC flying is difficult and very dangerous. And it is vital to learn the basics. the first part of which is to learn to control the plane by reference to the attitude indicator. This is critical and don't rush it and don't cheat, make sure you have a good hood or better yet on the simulator. Its not all that hard, you learn the blind flying way to pitch up or down usually 5 or 10* and also you learn to bank usually up to 30* or so. This is vital, and the next step is to add the other 5 instruments in to your scan, so that you see the results of the change in pitch/bank you made on the attitude indicator. If you can do that well it is vital, even if it takes several hours to learn. A key is knowing which scan instrument give which info. So that is the first 1/3, how you turn or climb, the next step is where you are going and what instruments guide you there. DG, VOR, GPS, etc. and this can be complex. You will not likely learn this at first very well. The last third is how you blend this with charts or Ipads or whatever. again a lot of info to learn. GOOD LUCK and when I was at your stage I found the learning was half the fun, keeps the mind alert and interested and focused. Be safe and Be smart and keep us posted on your progress, you are almost a licensed pilot. The XC part is also vital, its also interesting and endlessly variable Night flying is in essence often instrument flying or can be, 3 hours of it should be good. .
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-21-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks! My intention is to start my instrument training soon after I get my PPL. I have been reading about risks in flying and some accident reports with low time pilots, and because of that, I want to treat spin training (though I am still looking for someone to teach it) and my first 5 hours instrument training as a continuation of my Private after I sit my check ride. For that reason, I am trying to count every penny and cut costs as much as possible without sacrificing the quality of instruction.