Thread: Experimental???

Experimental???

If you bought all the cub-like parts from Univair or Wag-Aero, and assembled them, could it be licensed experimental. To settle a conversation we had the other day with some of our members.

Experiemental, yes, maybe not experimental amateur-built though, which is what I think you are getting at.

It would depend on how preassembled the parts are.

Legitimately, you would have to go through the 51% work sheet to determine whether it can be E-AB or not. However, the reality is that buying all the parts through Univair and other such sources, wouldn't be any farther along than what you would have if you bought a Carbon Cub kit, which has been determined to be E-AB qualified. In fact, it would likely need a lot more work to finish. If you're wanting to build a cub like plane, there are a lot of different plans and kits. But for one at needing about the same work as sourcing all the parts at various suppliers, why not get with Jay at Javron Cub and build one of his kits? That's definitely E-AB, gives you a little wider cabin for today's bigger people, and isn't going to cost any more than sourcing through the various suppliers. Or, a Carbon Cub? Or a few others as well.

And no, mine isn't a Javron Cub. I just think he makes a quality Kit.