Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA - Firearms on carry on

TSA - Firearms on carry on

I get a weekly feed from TSA on how they are doing and what trends they are seeing in security. It is pretty much self serving but there is always this listing of the number of firearms they are finding in carry on and inproperly stored in checked baggage beyond the silly stuff people shouldn't carry around through the airports. Here is the current report - https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2018/12/04/...november-19-30
    Note the number . I personally find it hard to believe that that many people are forgetful enough to try to walk through with a firearm (let alone with a chambered round) . So these must be mostly quality control testing by air marshals or TSA agents. Taken at just face value by someone less questioning it must be terrifying to them..... And what heros the TSA are for their safety.
    And they make me take out my silly little travel CPAP machine every time I fly.
    jim

Two of those deadly weapons in the pictures are cap guns.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I wonder when TSA list the hundreds of guns they say they find. What makes me dubious is just common sense and my experience. I have traveled as an airline passenger for half a century, hundreds if not a thousand times ,since my first flight as a child, Houston Hobby to Dallas Love, both great airports that are still there and Southwest hubs. In all those flights I have never once seen any passenger apprehended with a gun. Now there are lots of folks that love their guns, and maybe they are silly enough to bring them, but I haven't seen it, even once. I see water bottles and computers and cats and yip yap dogs and all manner of other fod, but no guns. I did, just recently at the Southwest baggage check in Denver see a man who was trying to check a plastic gun case with his rifle inside, and the lady told him they would not accept is without a padlock on it, even though it had its own key locks. He said he had checked it this way going out on the hunt, but they sent him to a shop to buy a lock this time. Still not one going through TSA. Now I live in a small peaceful town where folks don't carry guns so maybe other places do , but none that Ive seen.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-05-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Small peaceful towns are where (non-criminal) people do carry guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jim_p View Post
    Small peaceful towns are where (non-criminal) people do carry guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Small peaceful towns are where criminals go to commit crimes. People leave doors unlocked and keys in cars in these towns. Happens in my area all the time. The crimes are committed by criminals from near by bigger towns.

This thread reminds me of the small peaceful little airstrips. No one on these strips are comitting crimes. But others come from the near by towns and steall things like Avionics out of sitting airplanes or engines off of sitting airplanes. Or maybe these crimes are committed by those who do live " hangar " at these places. This kind a reminds me of Conceal Carry. If you don't tell someone you are carrying, how would they know if it is concealed? If you do not tell someone you are a crook, how do they know?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    If you do not tell someone you are a crook, how do they know?
    You look and act like Richard Nixon.

I know what the crime rate is in my town, especially shootings. I don't think the cops have ever shot anyone since I have lived here and there have only been about 2 gun killings over decades. There are some petty crimes, shoplifting etc. bar fights. and white collar crime none of which has to do with TSA. People would rather carry skis than guns, though there are vistors who come during hunting season, but that is not in town. The man who parks his plane next to mine, is a local cop and also a source of what is going on here.Our bigger town is 200 miles away. And I don't lock my old car, just like I don't lock my car or plane at Oshkosh. We have the 2nd higest educated county per capitia in the U S , after only Los Alamos.
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 12-05-2018 at 11:02 AM.

PLEASE - This thread is about TSA and Guns and other weapons through airport security. I noted it was in the 20s a few years ago escalating to now in the 50s+ every week. Assuming there are statistical models that a % of travelers are bringing unauthorized stuff through security and guns are part of that %. Are there twice as many flying?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Two of those deadly weapons in the pictures are cap guns.
    But they come with that nasty looking samurai sword.