Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

One reason for the slow bus service...

https://youtu.be/Jb9Xxtxnc6w

I watched the bus following the guy on the scooter for 4-500 yards. Pretty comical.

Good -

1. Twin Beech, Bonanza, Baron aerobatics.

2. Ultralights.

3. Food (pretty tasty).

4. Volunteers!

5. Weather!! (Amazingly refreshing being from SE Texas).

Bad -

1. That ridiculous "thing" with that flip-flop acro plane flying low-level circles around the field with the prop screaming supersonic. Please - do not do that again.

2. Way too many UTVs, golf carts, and cars.

Ugly -

*Almost* not being able to get the beer I bought at the EAA camp store back to my campsite in HBC!!
    Last edited by Low Pass; 07-31-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Bryan

Houston

It might just be me but I pay very little attention to the aerobatics at the afternoon shows. As I've said before I can appreciate the skill but to me they're basically all the same and no amount of "ginning up" by the announcers raises the interest level very much unless it's something different.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    That's not at all funny in any way....but I can't stop laughing.
    And those big yellow trailers with the 12 doors on them are showers, not toilet stalls. My wife found one someone had taken a dump in.

We are told never to use our horns on either the scooters or the golf carts. It's at least a Vintage-wide thing (if not EAA-wide) and the rule since I've been volunteering for 21 years.

Oddly, the vehicle traffic issue has taken MASSIVE REGRESSION this year. It had been steadily improving but the number of carts and cars on the field has drastically increased (this was after they gave us a UNTOWARD amount of grief to get into the Vintage area to unload stuff before the show opened). We regularly had to shoo DRUNKS on pickup trucks out of aircraft taxi areas. How they got access is beyond me.

I think the EAA needs to regress on alcohol sales. We had FIST fights DOWN in Vintage coming out of the night airshow. This is almost directly attributable to the beer sales at Major Goolsby/Vintage Cafe and the REdOne markets.

Much as with the self-centered greedy bastards with their "emotional support animals" on airlines, anybody with a portable conveyance (segways, scooters, electric bikes, etc..) seems to have been welcomed through the gates this year (with the exception of the mobilitiy scooters, these were all explicitly banned in the past).
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 07-31-2018 at 03:00 PM.

In the Boy Scouts we do Roses, thorns, and rosebuds -- with the last being hopes for the future. We also try to limit each category to three items. This is not the Boy Scouts, but I will apply those conditions to my input here:

Roses:
    - The volunteers
    - The Pilot Proficiency Center. Free loggable IFR instruction from outstanding instructors.
    - Return of the One Week Wonder
    (I will not mention the displays or shows that have already been mentioned.)

Thorns:
    - Saturday arrivals. Rescheduling the mass arrivals for Sunday when they were weathered out on Saturday was a BAD idea.
    - The fist fight outside of the Warbirds tent camping area when people abused the availability of beer. For some reason this became a multi-hour police involved event. Curiously, AFTER that event, the security guard shack at the entrance to the camp site was left un-manned/closed
    - That the tram lines seem to change every year just to keep us confused. I spent some time waiting for a southbound red tram before my kids figured out that it was running in a loop and there was no "southbound" red tram per se.

Rosebuds:
    - The XP-82
    - good weather
    - safe travels for everyone (including me)

Addendum: We arrive between Saturday and Sunday and plan to stay until Saturday. I fly, wife drives. This year on Friday she asked if we could start until Sunday! She said there was still so much more that she and my boys had not seen. (In the end we left Saturday as my family in Peoria was expecting her arrival.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    - That the tram lines seem to change every year just to keep us confused. I spent some time waiting for a southbound red tram before my kids figured out that it was running in a loop and there was no "southbound" red tram per se.
    Agreed. I understand they did that so as to cover more of the Homebuilt area but the signage, while different this year, is completely useless. Things like "Stop #9" convey no useful information.

I still think that a sign like "Board here for Forums, Warbirds, Homebuilt" would make more sense. Especially at places like the Hangar Cafe and Tower junctions.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Much as with the self-centered greedy bastards with their "emotional support animals" on airlines, anybody with a portable conveyance (segways, scooters, electric bikes, etc..) seems to have been welcomed through the gates this year (with the exception of the mobilitiy scooters, these were all explicitly banned in the past).
    I saw quite a few emotional support animals on the flightline too. I watched a dog pee on the grounds in homebuilts near where I was sitting for the Saturday night show. Obviously people sit there. Add that to the weed smoke and it was an airshow to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Because Oshkosh has a million other things to catch and hold your attention.
    As a tram driver for more years than I can count on, most of the problems I run into are people so concentrated on their cell phones instead of show noises that they just love to walk into me . I have been lucky so far. Like I posted before , head on a swivel at all times. If it supposed to be a pedestrian event, then why all the trams ?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmurphy View Post
    I just got home from a week at Oshkosh and I miss it already. Seems awfully quiet here without Bell 47s and other aircraft flying around. The good stuff about the trip could fill a couple of pages, but I'll just mention a few. Camp Scholler gets better every year with all of the improvements being made. I think EAA needs to consider taking steps to increase the area for camping. When I arrived early Saturday afternoon I was amazed how many campers were already there. I was also pleased to see the number of golf cart and other vehicles that were offering rides to people. Remember-no empty seats! Also kudos to EAA for chapter camping. I had a great time attending and camping together with my chapter friends.
    I keep hearing that camp Scholler is getting better every year, but I just don't see it. This year the tent area looked like a slum from Bombay. There were tents packed everywhere, nowhere close to the 20'x30' area per camp, or the 10' separation between tents. Every year the number of motorbikes and scooters keep increasing, despite the rules. None of the riders appeared to be handicapped. Car alarms were going off every night. There were many sites with yellow and red tapes around them. I have no idea what these tapes were supposed to indicate - private property, VIP, beware of dogs? The bus ride from the camping area to the gate took longer than the walk. I never took the bus after that. There is plenty of farm land near the airport. I don't know why they don't expand the camping area for a more pleasant camping experience instead of packing us into a small space.

The EAA (well, Winnebago County) has already condemned and/or otherwise appropriated a great deal of land around the airport (have a nice talk to the SOS brothers about it some time). Further, there are mulitple jurisdictions involved (most of the airport isn't even in the Oshkosh city limits). The airport has already taken a lot of heat over the land grabs which is viewed as nothing more than a grab by the EAA. It's one thing to laughably wrap it in an airport security/master plan for the close in stuff. Taking any more land around Scholler isn't likely to fly very well.

Quote Originally Posted by alpasierra View Post
    There were many sites with yellow and red tapes around them. I have no idea what these tapes were supposed to indicate - private property, VIP, beware of dogs?
    I tape off my camp site, to keep it mine. I drive to town a lot, and I don't wish to come back to my parking spot being taken by another camper. I've seen it before. Mon-Wed, camping becomes quite full, any port in a storm.