Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Banned
    The Good: the stunning fire engine red new WACO YMF on matching paint Aerocet amphibs.

The Bad: yesterday's(Wed.) scorching heat and humidity.

The Ugly: the older lady walking down Celebration Way in head to toe tats.

I'll add a couple from today (Thursday). Good: rescheduling the night airshow and allowing Wednesday wristbands to get admission for today because of that. The Heritage Flight. Seeing the Honor Flight jet landing and knowing that some vets will be getting a well-deserved day in D.C. tomorrow with a fantastic Oshkosh reception.

The bad: every year I buy a postcard with the year's theme on it, and get a National Park Service Airventure date stamp for every day I'm there. The rangers are super-nice. Today a non-ranger volunteer started arguing with me because she wanted me to use the non-EAA stamp. It was ridiculous. A petty thing to complain about, but seriously, lady, you don't think I know what stamp I want? Also...after the airshow, please stop playing music over the PA system and just let us listen to the airplanes. Not everything needs a musical soundtrack.

The ugly: smoking is still allowed in some places on grounds. Why?
    Last edited by BeagleOne; 07-26-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    How is a tram going to go faster ? Has Mr Pelton ever been on one while trying to make its way through a crowd of people that refuse to get out of the way? They are farm tractors. Lucky to get more that 7 MPH from them.
    Perhaps reduce wait time? I don't know if he knows yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    It's not the speed so much as capacity. There are some stops where it's almost impossible to get on. Like the red tram in front of the forums going north. They're already full from the last stop at the hub.

Maybe reserve two rows once they reload for people at the next few stops? And how about some shade at the stops while you are watching yet another full tram pass by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I was at a function last night where an EAA employee said two relevant things that mattered to me: 1. They said Jack's eardrums are still bleeding from the comments about the trams, and 2. He said they were tearing down the Federal Pavillion post-show and putting up a Vintage-like plaza with bleachers etc for Homebuilts in review. What about the Feds? He said they were going to go in the exhibit barns and (I quote) kick out the massagers and other non-aviation stuff. No idea if true, but they said the words we wanted to hear.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I was at a function last night where an EAA employee said two relevant things that mattered to me: 1. They said Jack's eardrums are still bleeding from the comments about the trams, and 2. He said they were tearing down the Federal Pavillion post-show and putting up a Vintage-like plaza with bleachers etc for Homebuilts in review. What about the Feds? He said they were going to go in the exhibit barns and (I quote) kick out the massagers and other non-aviation stuff. No idea if true, but they said the words we wanted to hear.
    I was at the annual membership meeting on Wednesday, and there was a comment made by a member about the trams. The comment was related to what seemed to be too many trams going to the north, and not enough going to the south. I remember last year I was waiting by the tower for a tram to go to vintage, and there were 4 trams going toward north 40, none going toward vintage. I definitely hope the tram situation improves.

Jack also made a comment at that meeting about the tearing down of the Federal Pavilion. Sounds like they are going to make that area into more of an area for homebuilts. Organizations that currently utilize the Federal Pavilion will be moved to exhibit hangar B. And yes, I definitely heard the comment from him about the non-aviation vendors.

Bad -- What seems to me like an increased amount of bag checks at the gates. Any bag check at all is unnecessary in my opinion. I'm sure we're all honest people here, I don't think we need to have our bags checked. I usually enter through the gate that's along the path between the bus park and the control tower (sorry I don't remember the gate #), and I've never been checked at this gate before, until just the last couple of days.

Good/Bad -- Too many forums/planes/other things I want to see, and what seems like not enough time for everything.

I've been going since the first and I can't find anything I didn't like about Oshkosh 2018 other than maybe I get tired of watching the 'flip/flops' on the afternoon shows even though I can appreciate the skills involved. Really prefer fly bys of different usual and unusual aircraft but that's just me. Hot weather, storm and rain..... we live with that in Wisconsin all summer...just a fact of life that some things will be cancelled or rescheduled. Best part: meeting old friends I see once a year or so. Can't wait until next year. I'll be 80 then if I make it. By the way I only rode the tram once......walking is good for you
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Friday's list from BeagleOne. Good: I've had several excellent meals at the Hangar Cafe. I love that that old building is still there and in use. Although it's spelled "Hanger" on the menu boards, haha. Seeing the warbirds flying. They put on an excellent show. It's wonderful to see and hear those planes flying. Thank you, pilots. The Honor Flight reception. Finally giving VietNam vets the welcome they deserve. Just fantastic.

I've ridden the museum bus today and yesterday and it seems to be much faster and more efficient than in previous years.

The bad. I didn't get to see Dick Cole today. Apparently he was unable to attend the morning session at the Welcome Center, and when I got to the museum for his 1 p.m. talk, the line to get into the theatre was about double the seating capacity, and one of the volunteers told me they weren't sure Col. Cole would be able to attend that presentation either. Not sure if he did. He is a living legend and at almost 103, it's incredible that he is still willing and able to come to Oshkosh. I hope he is okay.

The ugly. During the pre-Heritage Flight F-16 performance, I was at airshow center right on the flightline, and there was some absolute idiot of a father carrying his young son, who had no ear protection. The poor boy was shrieking and crying every time the F-16 went by, and all the father did was hug and kiss the kid. He made no attempt to cover his ears. I would normally never say anything to a parent about what is going on with their child, but this boy was in great distress. So I finally said, "He needs ear protection, this is far too loud for him!" The father just kept on doing what he was doing, and the boy kept on shrieking and crying. Poor little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by troy_m View Post
    Bad -- What seems to me like an increased amount of bag checks at the gates. Any bag check at all is unnecessary in my opinion. I'm sure we're all honest people here, I don't think we need to have our bags checked. I usually enter through the gate that's along the path between the bus park and the control tower (sorry I don't remember the gate #), and I've never been checked at this gate before, until just the last couple of days.

Good/Bad -- Too many forums/planes/other things I want to see, and what seems like not enough time for everything.
    I'm not sure what my thoughts are on the bag check,on one hand it's 2018 and it's one of those unnecessary evils we have to deal with. On the other hand the bag check I received last night with my 5.11 tactical backpack consisted of the guy asking me if I had any alcohol in it and then waving me through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk