Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
Stewarts....... http://www.stewartsystems.aero/default.aspx

Easy to use. Yellow holds up well
Jim
I have to agree. I teach the seminars for Stewart Systems at Oshkosh, Sun N Fun, etc. I'm a home builder and don't have a dedicated spray booth or a $5,000 spray set up. If you follow the manual, watch a few of the videos and than do some practice you will find that shooting with a good HVLP gun is easy. Biggest mistake made is using a Harbor Freight HVLP gun with a compressor putting out only 6-8 cfm. The Purple monster from HF has too small a fan and not the right tip size for the paint; tip needs to be 1.3 for paint and 1.5 for EkoFill and compressor must put out 12 cfm or more; you won't get that with a 110V compressor. Before you decide on using a highly toxic paint, give us a shot. I'll be giving a seminar on painting at Airventure on Monday at 4:00pm in the ultralight area and will be teaching covering all week right by the Red Barn in the ultralight area. I attached a picture of my latest project; refinishing a $20 canoe! Yup, my sun-in-law paid $20 for the old Sears canoe. I used a grinder with 80grit to strip off the paint, repaired the cracks and such with epoxy and micro balloons and shot it with EkoFill followed by Ekopoly with flatter. The prep on the glass is lousy, the finish is great. The intend was to roll on marine epoxy but ..... no longer available here on the California coast due to has-mat! So, I shot the Ekopoly and it looks great. It's now a "$20 horse with a $50 saddle". I shot the canoe in the garage, with the doors open, three fans and the back door open for cross ventilation. There is no trash in the paint and no overspray anywhere in the shop. I can't emphasize how easy this is to shoot. I wore shorts, tee shirt, and a good charcoal mask.
Marty
Name:  IMG_3825.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  94.6 KB