Thread: Transponder & ADS-B Setup

Transponder & ADS-B Setup

Folks, I'm looking to buy a plane that does not have a transponder. Where I will be operating the plane on a regular basis I'll need to install a transponder. And at this point, might as well go with at least an ADS-B In setup as well.

After looking at the myriad of makes and models out there, it seems all assume you already have a transponder, maybe even a GPS, too. This plane has none of this. It would be an installation starting from scratch.

Any suggestions on what would work in this situation? Certainly equipment ok for use in an experimental aircraft will keep cost down.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Sluggo; 04-30-2018 at 09:52 AM.

uAvionix has ADS-B solutions that are applicable to experimental aircraft.

My RV-6 has a Stratus ESG transponder and a Stratux ADS-B receiver which is a total 2020 solution. Total cost for this setup is about $2500 and gives you a full-featured 1090ES transponder, WAAS GPS source and wifi traffic/weather service for your tablet or phone.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Great! Thanks Sam. I’ll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    uAvionix has ADS-B solutions that are applicable to experimental aircraft.

My RV-6 has a Stratus ESG transponder and a Stratux ADS-B receiver which is a total 2020 solution. Total cost for this setup is about $2500 and gives you a full-featured 1090ES transponder, WAAS GPS source and wifi traffic/weather service for your tablet or phone.
    You will also need an altitude encoder for the Stratus transponder, I forgot that in the number I quoted.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Sluggo, you only hint at it, but just want to clarify: If your plane is an experimental, then equipment for that will be ok; if a type-certificated airplane, then you must use non-experimental items. And I believe you'll have to have it installed by an official repair station. If certificated, that is.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

See the link below for a good DIY, ADS-B in solution. It is designed to be used with a EFB moving map software (ForFlight with iPad or Avare for Android tablets).
    It is great for seeing your location, seeing traffic and weather.

http://stratux.me/

If you fly in controlled airspace you will need an ADS-B out solution also.

Good Flying!