Thread: A bit of help regarding maintenance

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I understand. So, a couple of quick examples to check if I got it:

Let's say that I buy a Zenith CH750 kit. I can build it at my garage without training, of course following every single detail of the manuals, and getting help from experienced friends or an EAA chapter if possible. I can buy a used rotax 912 or a used continental and overhaul it by myself or with help of any non certified mechanic with enough knowledge , and put it all together. After that, I request an FAA inspection and if everything goes well, I can proceed to test flights and after that regular flights. After that I can continue giving full maintenance to that aircraft during its lifetime, and If I take the 16 hours inspection training I can sign off the logbook every year and that's it. Pretty much no third party should touch that bird ever... I'm I right on that example?

For the experimental case, lets say that I buy a set of plans of a DR109, I could build it at mi garage per the manual, take a lycoming 540 removed from a certified aircraft and overhaul it by myself or with help of someone non certified that knows the stuff, put it all together, get it inspected by the FAA and if everything is right, proceed to the 40 hours test flights, and then I would be ready to go? and after that, I can continue giving maintenance to the aircraft during its lifespan, with annual inspections signed off my me if I made the 16 hours training or by an A&P if I didn't. Of course I know that a project like this is a different animal that could take around 3500 hours of good workmanship, and a pilot with experience flying extras or pitts, but overall, from a legal and technical perspective, that would be the way to do it? right? (I'm using that example because I have here at my country a set of drawings from Todd Ashcraft for that plane, LOL)

Thanks to all of you responding to this thread, I have some good friends and a couple of aviation authorities following along!

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by chacalextreme; 11-26-2017 at 07:44 PM.