Thread: Parking plane on wet ground

Parking plane on wet ground

Recieved a message from the RV campground to bring boards for the wheels due to the amount of rain they have received. We rent a RV so the renter takes care f that but as I have helped people tow, push and whatever to get their aircraft out of the depressions their aircraft have made after a week. IF, it is fairly soft, does anyone have ideas of a viable system of "plates" that one could tug the airplane on to so as to avoid the guy that try's to power out.

I will help anyone but am getting old and don't want to damage my airplane or anyone else's.

I carry 3 pieces of 12"X12"X1/4" plywood that I roll the plane onto as soon as I get parked. It has made a huge difference in pulling it out later.

Sounds good to me. What type of aircraft? I have a Bonanza.

Mine is an RV-10.

During Sloshkosh some enterprising teens were selling 3 x 1 foot squares of plywood for $20. They could have made a fortune if they kept at it but apparently quit once they got their gas/beer/date money. I'm bringing my own just in case.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

I use three stiff plastic 5 gallon bucket lids.

I've heard cafeteria trays work well. Not that I would recommend taking them from the dorms

I bring two pieces of 3/8" plywood about 18" x 6". I like the extra length, because it allows room for chocks. I haven't seen a need for something under the nose gear.

Two years ago, I forgot my boards. I was one of few airplanes remaining in the North 40, there was nothing behind me, and I couldn't move the airplane by hand. I felt like Petroni, because it took a shot of full power to get the airplane rolling after sitting there for the week. Not likely I'll forget the boards again!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Yeah, the first year I was in the North 40 (1993) it was pretty wet. It took a lot of power (I did stay to the end so there wasn't anybody behind me to worry about) and two guys pushing on the 172 struts to get me out. The Patroni reference is about right.

"She won't take much more."
    "Well she's going to get it."