Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So green I need water twice a day.

I am a huge fan of experimental aircraft for recreational flying. That said, before considering buying an experimental for flight training, make sure that you have a CFI who will train you in it, and a DPE who will give you the checkride in it.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I have never seen a CFI who would not teach in an airplane they were qualified for just cause it was experimental. I doubt if most even ask about that, if it is legal to fly that is the criteria. And a Taylorcraft is a normal category airplane. it would be silly to try to make a normal Taylorcraft experimental. I dont know about a clip wing T craft, if that becomes exp or is just an STC.

Thanks so much for all the input. I'm in north Texas, I've trained a few hours in a JustAircraft SuperSTOL (experimental home-built bush plane with EFI Honda Fit car engine converted) My CFI had no problem training my buddy that built the SuperSTOL. He had ever flown anything until he flew the plane he built! Same CFI was also happy to train me in it, I think he had as much fun as I did. One day we spent 4 hours hopping from one sand bar to the next in the red river. I'm trying to trade drag racing witch over done for 20 years for vintage flying. I'm not wealthy by any means. I find a way to dump $500 (if nothing brakes) into a trip to the track at least once a month. Just sold one of my cars and loosened up some funds. Seems safer than going 130mph in 660 feet in less than 6 second between two concrete barriers next to another guy that is likely more crazy then you....lol.... Like I said and others have mentioned "what can you get for less than $10k anymore" I'm trying to seal the deal this weekend

Thanks again everyone!

Hi, Novaguy;

Sounds interesting. So, since you're skimming the Red River, how far north are you? Sounds like you race at the strip just north of Denton.

I used to fly out of 52F (NW Regional), but since I sold my plane I sometimes hitch a ride with a friend out of Propwash. Good luck with the TaylorCraft. Sounds like a fun project, but as others have noted, you'll need a good A&P who's willing to work with you. And the parts cost could impact you as well. Having built my own Sonex a few years ago, I heartily recommend either building a plane or purchasing a used experimental. As the owner, you can do literally anything you want, except for the annual condition inspection, which only requires an A&P, not an IA. Of course, if you built one, you don't even need an A&P for that.

Have you considered a Pietenpol? Open cockpit, Corvair is a popular engine (that you'd get to build yourself - see William Wynn flycorvair.com), and looks like it's from the 1920's. Low and slow.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

A Taylorcraft is a great choice as a first aircraft. I bought one 2 rental hours after getting my PPL as a college student in 1974. I learned about tailwheels, spins, adverse yaw, heel brakes, owner maintenance and so many other things. Unlike a Cub or Champ it is fast enough to go on usable cross countries. Parts are cheap compared to Cubs. It was my first love and why I bought a second one later in life and now have 4 L-2's to restore. I love experimentals too, I'm building my 2nd RV-6. But the T-craft was my first love and I'd do it all over again. For $6K you can't go wrong.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

CarlOrton,

The fellow that owns said Tcraft keeps a C185, could be a 210 at propwash outside Justin. I've lived in the north Dallas area all my life. My CFI and buddies SuperSTOL fly out of Durant (KDUA). I've bought a new/ old home on 5 Acres with a 40x60 shop so I no longer have to rent shop space to work from in the Texoma area and Durant will likely become my home base. We have been waiting since September on a prior lease agreement to run course and expect to move mid July.

I pulled the trigger on the little Tcraft yesterday. We're handling the business end of it this morning. I had arranged for a pre buy through a friend of a friend that's an A&P with some vintage aircraft experience out of Terrell muni. But he was unable to meet the schedule, and due to the fact another A&P had scheduled to look at it this morning for a personal project (likely get it in annual and resell it) I just went ahead and rolled the dice on it. He originally wanted $8K, as fast as the word went out it was for sale there was literally a line of buyers. I was lucky first, and I was beginning to sence his frustration of wanting to move on to "the next guy" I had been tire kicking for weeks. Needless to say I didn't end up paying the $6k I thought I would. But I did mange to work a few months of storage into the deal so I have plenty of time to get settled in at my new place before I have to worry about moving it. Maybe spend a few weekends poking at it. I have a nice bore scope and if the old A-65 looks good!!! I'll put some fresh oil it, prim it through the oil temp bulb, tip it on its nose for a few, put some fuel in it and hope for the best! Hearing it run would really pump me up.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll keep you posted.

Glad to hear you're on your way!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Hello Neighbor
    I was inquiring as to how you are coming with your new T-Craft post some pics when you get a chance.
    I have a couple Taylorcraft projects in different stages one I am planning to go Exp. and had some of the same questions you were asking
    hope yoy get it flying soon.

It appears you have received a lot of good info from some of the more knowledgeable folks here. But I'd like to mention one item that might be a confusion factor for you or others at one time or another:

I understand I can fly NORAD
    NORAD is the joint US/Canada defense center near Pikes Peak in Colorado. NORDO is the usual shorthand for No RaDiO. No big deal, just thought you might like to know.

Best of luck with that T-Craft -- they're neat aircraft.

Larry N.