Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfinished Kitfox IV-1200

Unfinished Kitfox IV-1200

Sold!!!

Sold!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WWhunter; 03-16-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Hello,
    Which version of the 912 is it and would you consider selling the engine separately?
    Thanks
    Jim
    hazelgreenacres@att.net

Engine is a Rotax 912 80 HP. I have no desire to part out the plane. I realize I could probably make a bunch of money doing so but I would prefer to let someone either finish the plane or if they want to buy everything and part it out....that is up to them. Make me an offer on the entire thing and you can remove the engine and have a whole plane for spare parts.

It might be a good idea to give your location. A great deal that's 50 miles away is a lot different than a great deal located a thousand miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    It might be a good idea to give your location. A great deal that's 50 miles away is a lot different than a great deal located a thousand miles away.
    Kyle, you are 100% correct!! The plane is located at the airport in Park Rapids, MN . My apologies for not stating its location. Having been attached to the military for so many years, and moving so often, I felt that putting my location would have been signs for a scam since we were overseas many of those years. Both retired now and should be in Mn for the foreseeable future.

I am completely uneducated in the protocols, so forgive if this is a dumb question, but am I correct in guessing that lack of building logs could become a major issue getting the FAA to sign off on the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I am completely uneducated in the protocols, so forgive if this is a dumb question, but am I correct in guessing that lack of building logs could become a major issue getting the FAA to sign off on the plane?
    That would depend if it ever received an airworthy certificate from the FAA. If it did then all hope may not be lost. But if not then there are many many hoops to jump through and then you may only get this registered as something like exhibit use or something like this. No expert here but believe this to be correct.

Tony

There's a message thread over on VAF (http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=149863) about a similar issue. As I understand it you'd somehow need to document, either with build logs or statement(s) from previous owner(s) or their family/families, that the plane was amateur built. Without that you may have a difficult time getting an airworthiness certificate. And you'll need some documentation of the chain of ownership and transfers along the way to get it registered.

Certainly not a trivial issue, but the devil is in the details. Either the information can be had and it could be done, or it can't and you have an engine and a very pretty lawn ornament. Or somewhere in between.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I am by no way any expert in this either. I originally bought this for my son while he was deployed to Afghanistan. I have never built an AB aircraft but do own one. When I purchased this for him, I had contacted the EAA and posed the same question, since it didn't have build logs, and they relayed that since it has not yet been completed, it was still possible to finish and get the repairman's certificate. The man that was building the plane was deseased (motorcycle accident) and no build logs were available. I may have misunderstood, but after that, I purchased the unfinished plane. As DaleB states, not a trivial issue but it is doable but I wanted to inform any interested parties that there are no build logs.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 06-08-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    I am by no way any expert in this either. I originally bought this for my son while he was deployed to Afghanistan. I have never built an AB aircraft but do own one. When I purchased this for him, I had contacted the EAA and posed the same question, since it didn't have build logs, and they relayed that since it has not yet been completed, it was still possible to finish and get the repairman's certificate. The man that was building the plane was deseased (motorcycle accident) and no build logs were available. I may have misunderstood, but after that, I purchased the unfinished plane. As DaleB states, not a trivial issue but it is doable but I wanted to inform any interested parties that there are no build logs.
    I would try and go back to who you bought the airplane from (the estate) and get a letter stating that "xxx", deceased, was building the airplane for education and recreation, and the build logs were lost at or around the time of death. That would greatly simplify things.