Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic med

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyB View Post
    I currently have a Class 3 medical which expires Sep 30, 2017, and is based on an AME physical completed on Sep 3, 2016. When do I have to have the first BasicMed physical and complete the first online course? Prior to Sep 3, 2017? OR Sep 3, 2020 for the physical and Sep3, 2018 for the online course?
    If you don't want to be grounded, you have to complete the entire BasicMed process by the end of Sep 17. IOW your AME physical that you got for your Class III cannot be applied towards a BasicMed physical--you have to get a new one by a state liscensed physician. See AOPAs's BasicMed FAQ page for more info: https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...medical-reform
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 04-26-2017 at 04:17 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Well color me disappointed--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was ttold they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Excited for this. I haven't been able to fly for 6 weeks while waiting instead of getting the 3rd class.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Visited my regular doctor yesterday and walked out with the signed form. Went home and took the online course. Went to the airport and flew this morning! Plus it is good twice as long as the 3rd class since I'm now 40. I'm loving this BasicMed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sent this to FAA help desk 8 days ago.
    The new medical ruling indicates that a Class 3 Med is limited to an aircraft that is less than 6,000 lbs. What class medical is needed for a private pilot to legally fly as PIC of a heaver AC.
    Thanks for your reply.

helpdesk@faa.gov
    Apr 29 (8 days ago)
    to me

Tom,
    MY team does not know the answer to that question. I would ask your AME and see if they can give you an answer. I will ask my management team Monday when they get back to work.

No answer as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by n743tc View Post
    Sent this to FAA help desk 8 days ago.
    The new medical ruling indicates that a Class 3 Med is limited to an aircraft that is less than 6,000 lbs. What class medical is needed for a private pilot to legally fly as PIC of a heaver AC.
    Thanks for your reply.
    helpdesk@faa.gov
    Apr 29 (8 days ago)
    to me

Tom,
    MY team does not know the answer to that question. I would ask your AME and see if they can give you an answer. I will ask my management team Monday when they get back to work.

No answer as yet.

The BasicMed rule is an alternative to the existing 3rd class medical rules for aircraft 6000 lbs or less and with six seats or fewer (and <18,000 ft MSL and <250 KIAS). For aircraft not fitting that description, the normal third class medical can still be used for all noncommercial operations.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921