Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic med

I haven't had a medical in 40 years, been flying Sport Pilot for 3 years now but I'm ready to get real again. The only S/P planes within a 200 mile radius are 3 1946 Champs and they are 40 miles away and stay busy, or, are in the shop, or, it's two windy. I love flying the Champ but if I get my medical again, (I've never been denied one, just let it laps and I have some issues. Heart stents) but there are a slew of 150's, and 172's for rent. I would be flying a lot more so I guess I'll find out just what I have to do and start jumping through all the hoops. Hopefully it won't be TOO bad.
    Bob

Hi Bob,

Do call Dr. Bruce Chien before applying for a medical. With stents you may or may not get one. Dr. Chien specializes in difficult cases; he can look at your reports and tell you what's required, and give you a good idea of your chances. His fee is quite reasonable. If you get denied, you're well and truly screwed. Always be 100% certain that you will be approved before applying... don't leave anything to chance. It's not a fair fight, so make sure you arm yourself accordingly.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

well now this brings up an interesting scenario. lets say you go to your friendly family doc (or AME for that matter) for your new Basic Med physical. and for whatever reason, you are denied.....doc won't pass you. do you now fit the "denied, suspended, or revoked" category and eliminated from Sport Pilot option? if the paperwork for the Basic Med never goes to the feds, have you been "denied" in their eyes...or can you just say thanks doc and go back to Sport Pilot? would be surprised if this is not addressed in the new rule, but I have not run across it yet. would be a good candidate for the FAQ list. or maybe we don't want to ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    well now this brings up an interesting scenario. lets say you go to your friendly family doc (or AME for that matter) for your new Basic Med physical. and for whatever reason, you are denied.....doc won't pass you. do you now fit the "denied, suspended, or revoked" category and eliminated from Sport Pilot option? if the paperwork for the Basic Med never goes to the feds, have you been "denied" in their eyes...or can you just say thanks doc and go back to Sport Pilot? would be surprised if this is not addressed in the new rule, but I have not run across it yet. would be a good candidate for the FAQ list. or maybe we don't want to ask the question.
    That would not be a denial by the FAA because a Class 3 Medical exam never occurred. The pilot in your scenario could still fly as a Sport Pilot as long as he/she had never been denied a FAA medical and has held at least a Class 3 certificate sometime during the past ten years.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    That would not be a denial by the FAA because a Class 3 Medical exam never occurred. The pilot in your scenario could still fly as a Sport Pilot as long as he/she had never been denied a FAA medical and has held at least a Class 3 certificate sometime during the past ten years.
    Sam, I don't think that's quite right. I believe Sport Pilot is unchanged; you are not required to have held a Class 3 during the past ten years to fly under Sport Pilot. As you say, not being able to pass Basic Med does not count as the denial of the FAA medical.

Ron Wanttaja

Excited for this. I haven't been able to fly for 6 weeks while waiting instead of getting the 3rd class.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Dale, I'm definitely going to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before actually having an exam. Where would I find this Dr. Chien? I live in upper, central S.C. but would take a trip for a consultation if I had to.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Sorry, should have included the link. He's in Peoria, I think. www.aeromedicaldoc.com.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

WOW ! Just checked out Dr. Chien, looks like he's the man. It will probably be later in the year before I'm ready to start down this road but it seems to be a good possibility.
    At the very least some conciliation. I feel better already.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Sam, I don't think that's quite right. I believe Sport Pilot is unchanged; you are not required to have held a Class 3 during the past ten years to fly under Sport Pilot. As you say, not being able to pass Basic Med does not count as the denial of the FAA medical.

Ron Wanttaja
    Ron, you are correct, fingers got ahead of my brain.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log