Thread: Modeling Assemblies In Context

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    Yes, I convert entities but I immediately remove the 'On Edge' relations
    Bill, So the first assembly becomes a prototype to make all the mistakes and do all the figurin'...then start over using the dimensions and the shapes, and lock everything down properly. That makes good sense to me.
    When I was working on the Chipmunk and had particular difficulty figuring out how to model something and didn't like the result, I would sometimes hang onto the first attempt but hide it, try a different tactic right on top, and if it worked better, go back and delete the first one. I did this quite often so I didn't lose any work while I tried out other stuff. Sounds a bit like what you're saying about keeping two parts on top of each other.

To remove the "On Edge" relations you just delete the little cube, right? Then it becomes a stand alone curve, no more relations. Then completely define the sketch.

Models tend to collect 'baggage' over time, especially when you're not sure where the design is going. So yes, you could consider the first models as prototypes. That isn't always the case but if you cut your losses and start over you will often end up with a better set of models to work with.

Configuations tend to collect too so when you're ready to clean things up those old ones can be discarded (as long as they are not in use in an open assembly). This is another case where saving a copy of the original file may be helpful later.

If you use a temporary assembly to create the new and cleaned up version, the old original could be stored away in an 'Obsolete' folder where you can retrieve it if you lose your way or just want to check something. And having the two versions as separate files allows for the visual comparison I described above.

If you want to delete the relations one at a time you can just click and delete the little cube icon. If there are dozens of them you may want to delete them all at once. Use the Display/Delete Relations tool to display/select the relations and delete them all at once.