Thread: Antenna Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Antenna Question

We are planning on installing an antenna with an antenna lead to connect to a handheld in 3 L-Birds. Any recommendations as to top or bottom antenna location? The ignition system on these airplanes is not shielded. I presume some form of ground plane will be required. Any thoughts on this project?

I use this antenna. It was a simple hookup or install. Nothing special needed and it works great. I did mount mine horizontally and it works ok. But these work best mounted vertical or so they say. Like I said I have no issue with mine mounted vertical.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...nnasystems.php

The one recommended by 1600vw does not require a ground plane. It is built into the antenna. Bottom mounting typically works better when flying and top mounting better when on the ground.

The nice thing about the antenna I posted, it covers all area's without a dead spot above or bellow the airplane. You do need a wooden framed airplane to use this style of antenna.

I should have mentioned that the L2, L3, and L4 all have steel tube fuselages covered with fabric.

On my Kolb I mounted the handheld's original rubber duck antenna on the bottom of the fuselage with an extension cable. My Fisher came with a wire antenna like this one mounted on top of the upper wing center section. Both worked just fine.