Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 2M Young Eagle

  1. #1
    Jim Heffelfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts
    408

    2M Young Eagle

    Too many trolls
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 08-29-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Too many Trolls

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    Jim, it must be true. Last Thursday at Osh on a very windy, overcast day, Harrison Ford flew the 2 millionth YE in his DH2 Beaver. Jeff Skiles flew the 1,999,999 in his C-185 and the person that has flown the most YE's got to take up the 2,000,001 in a Glastar.

    All symbolic and ceremonial of course. What ticked me off was that the flights started and finished 500 yards away from members eyes so you couldn't really see anyone. Only the media got close for interviews and pictures. If you didn't know it was Harrison Ford you would not have recognized him. He must be shooting the next Santa Clause movie(or Bin Ladin) because he had a huge, long white beard that enveloped his face.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Omro, WI
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If you didn't know it was Harrison Ford you would not have recognized him. He must be shooting the next Santa Clause movie(or Bin Ladin) because he had a huge, long white beard that enveloped his face.
    Said he has the beard for is role in a new Blade Runner movie.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    161
    I too would like to know if we actually hit 2M. But so far... Silence from HQ.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

  5. #5
    Low Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    I too would like to know if we actually hit 2M. But so far... Silence from HQ.
    I'm not sure I see the value. On the other side, this was a major PR hit for EAA and general aviation. I have non aviation friends who heard about Harrison Ford and the 2 million kids he has flown. Well, they got it close. But the point is it's much, much bigger than the individual EAA members, like me, who fly the kids. Who cares if I flew number 1,998,996. If I flew 2,000,000, it wouldn't make the chapter newsletter. Harrison Ford got the message out to MILLIONS of the general public.
    Bryan

    Houston

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    I'm not sure I see the value. On the other side, this was a major PR hit for EAA and general aviation. I have non aviation friends who heard about Harrison Ford and the 2 million kids he has flown. Well, they got it close. But the point is it's much, much bigger than the individual EAA members, like me, who fly the kids. Who cares if I flew number 1,998,996. If I flew 2,000,000, it wouldn't make the chapter newsletter. Harrison Ford got the message out to MILLIONS of the general public.
    Call me old fashioned, but I tend to think the truth is important.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

  7. #7
    Jim Heffelfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California, United States
    Posts
    408
    :-(
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 08-29-2016 at 07:30 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    I am going to guess the majority of staff are taking some time off post AV. Well deserved I might add as the week might seem long to some attendees I bet it's months long for much of the staff.
    Still no answer from the EAA
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    Still no answer from the EAA
    I wouldn't hold your breath. EAA has made it clear that this is a done deal. It was a timing stunt done at Oshkosh to take advantage of all the publicity and attention that the accumulated world's aviation and other media could give it.

    As well, as I pointed out earlier in this thread this event was designed to provide maximum exposure because of the pilots that participated and it was clearly a symbolic and ceremonial event. HQ has a good idea of when the 2M will happen in the next few months but that REAL milestone celebration could not hold a candle to doing it as an Oshkosh celebration.

  10. #10
    Mayhemxpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia
    Posts
    789
    In fairness to EAA, it has never bee said that Jodie Gawthrop was the actual 2 millionth Young Eagle. The words used were that she "represented" the 2 millionth YE, and sometimes the "official." I prefer "represents" which was in the earlier statements. Technically, she would not have been the 2 millionth YE, anyway, but represented the 2 millionth YE flight, as each youth can fly many times and each seat filled on each YE sortie counts towards the total. So the real 2M may happen on September of October -- but the time to celebrate that is during AV. (Note: All of my previous statements about the YE YPT program still stand.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •