Thread: camper dust caps falling off

camper dust caps falling off

This isn't aviation related, but thought I would ask here:
    I am getting my pop up camper ready to pull up to Oshkosh next week. I have repacked the bearings, and put the dust caps back on, but one wheel keeps throwing the cap off. It is a 1 15/16 size cap. A 2" will not fit. I am using a block of wood and a hammer to carefully tap them on until they are fully seated in the hub, and they fit really tight. I pulled the camper down the road for a few miles at different speeds, and almost lost a third cap tonight. It was now loose and I could spin it on the hub, and remove it by hand. The castle nut and cotter pin are clearing it inside. The hubs were slightly warm, but not hot. I've never had a problem of losing caps in the 16 years I've owned the camper(repacked the bearings about 6 times over the years). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to get stranded on the way to Oshkosh.
    Gregg

Get some aluminum tape and put it around the cap flange where it presses into the hub. One layer should suffice and make sure you cleanly trim off whatever material hangs over. We pound the stuffing out of trailers here in the mountains. Typically it is because there is too much grease in the hub. You can try dimpling the inside of the cap to put a couple of high spots on the flange area of the cap. Some swear by blue loc-tite.
    Hope this helps and enjoy OSH!
    Rick

I probably have too much grease in it. if I use blue loc tite on the flange of the dust cap, I assume that the inside of the hub where it contacts needs to be completely free of grease? thanks for the tips. I'll try the aluminum tape trick too.