Thread: Where to watch planes land?

Where to watch planes land?

Where's the best place to sit and watch planes arriving at AirVenture?

I would think as close to 09/27 as pedestrians are allowed? Once there you will know, but look at the winds to get an idea of the runway in use.

If just sitting in a car I'd look at somewhere in the North side, near the Hilton, then adjust as able. Of course one can't watch right next to the runway, cuz planes are taxiing off to parking.

I'm sure down by 18/36 there are options also.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    I would think as close to 09/27 as pedestrians are allowed? Once there you will know, but look at the winds to get an idea of the runway in use.

If just sitting in a car I'd look at somewhere in the North side, near the Hilton, then adjust as able. Of course one can't watch right next to the runway, cuz planes are taxiing off to parking.

I'm sure down by 18/36 there are options also.
    the corner of 9/27 and 18/36 is a very good spot. its a large grassy area on the north side of the warbirds area. Good view of the approach and pattern for 27. depends on winds of course.

Anywhere along the east third of 9-27 works well almost daily. Especially near the "dots", it's tempting to have judging cards, to show what you think of the landings. ��

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

When I taxi by I don't see to many spectators up along the runway. I think one has to settle for a vantage point just a bit back near the rope/ribbon edge. I do think an area near the approach of 27/18 would be the place to be, for common traffic patterns.

Spectators can't get near the runway--they have to stay behind the ropes, which are some distance back so that airplanes can taxi in the grass alongside the runway. Otherwise, you can bet that some yahoo would walk out onto the runway to take pictures!

Because the winds typically favor 27 and 36, there's also a pretty good vantage point south, north of where the amphibs are typically parked, along 36. Most of the "heavy iron" land on 36, because it's about 1900' longer than 27.

Of course, sometimes some dingbat will land against traffic. Last year, I saw 2 airplanes land on 9 against traffic landing on 27, making a slew of airplanes have to go around. You can bet that they had some discussions with the FAA!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee