Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting a GoPro...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    It's really both - I needed to find out what was causing the "jello" effect and if it's mount based and could it be solved in post-processing.

I would like to see some of the actual mountings - hardly anybody takes pictures of that - and some vibration solutions. I'm thinking that the bog standard bicycle clamp with its tiny bit of grippy foam isn't cutting the mustard on that score.
    I actually take pictures of my mountings (and often post them to the Fly Baby web page) but since I use a Contour camera, they're not necessarily applicable to GoPro users. Aluminum channel and hose clamps, mostly, with foam rubber to harm the paint as little as possible.

Contour has some advantages over GoPro... it's a tube, so there's less drag force on the mount. It also has a rotatable lens, so you can mount the camera on its side and still generate upright video. It uses slide-in slimline mounts that incorporate the standard 1/4" threaded hole for camera mounting. Even has a slot that will accept a bit of safety wire.

Unfortunately, for our uses, the Contour has the same disadvantage of a GoPro: It's TOO light. A heavier device would be more stable, not be as conducive to jiggling, and, most important of all, can benefit from foam and other vibration-absorbing materials. Our little cameras are too light for foam/rubber/other to help.

I've heard the filter helps (it's a GoPro thing, so I'm out of luck). Basic thing is does is make the camera open the aperture more and reduce its frame rate, which minimizes the jellying effect. It's not universally effective, though...many of you probably saw the TV series "Flying Wild Alaska," where they had GoPros mounted outside the Cessnas. You often saw jellying in the images on the show.

I think the only true solution is an image-stabilizing camera. These don't cost much more than the GoPro type, but they're usually a bit larger and hence harder to install. They work by having a bigger focal plane; when steady, the normal-size image has a border of extra detectors. If the image jiggles but still remains on the focal plane, the software corrects the "center point" of the image.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    While I like all the video's. Could someone show how they mounted said go-pro. I thought this thread would be about mounting a go-pro and not the video from said go-pro. ssmdive love the video's.
    The side mount will work facing in, facing out, fwd or back. I tape the excess down to prevent flutter on film.

Name:  Camera2_zpsede18237.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  8.6 KB

The tail mount is on the tail wheel spring. I tip tie it as a secondary attachment.

Name:  IMG_2386.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  99.2 KB

The Pitts side facing and FWD wing facing are just like the side facing on the Citabria, but on the I strut.

I also mounted a camera on the bulkhead behind my left ear for the spin video.

For some of the Citabria videos looking inside, I used the bike handlebar mount and mounted it on the bars near the wind shield. I used the same mount on the backwards Pitts face shots on the handle to climb in and out of the Pitts.

I can take some shots of the Pitts mounts this weekend... The Citabria I sold so it is gone.
    Last edited by ssmdive; 06-22-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S