Thread: U.S. Pilot Seeks New Zealand 172 Rental

U.S. Pilot Seeks New Zealand 172 Rental

My wife and I have a 172Q based at KSBA and are planning a trip to NZ in December. We've flown VFR in every U.S. state (except HI until this November), Canadian Province, and two islands in the Bahamas. Now we'd like to spend much of our remaining life savings flying commercial to NZ via HI, touring those beautiful lands by car and 172. I'm active in Chapter 527 and would like to connect with EAA and/or NZ/HI aviators.

I've searched the forum and not found anything recent on the topic of U.S. pilots renting 172(s) in NZ. I'm also an AOPA member and haven't yet found anything on their website either. Can anyone here direct me to any resources regarding renting 172s in Australia & NZ during that December 2016 time frame? Will I need an international pilot's license? Any help will be appreciated.

In case you'd like any more info about us, check out our blog: https://ja4u.net/
    There you can find narrative and pix from most of our flying adventures along with links in the right column to our direct email Contact form, larger versions of my favorite pix, and my submissions (mostly aerial pix) on the local news and info website Edhat.com

Thanks in advance for any help or tips you can share.

---Updates---
    Here's where I'll edit this initial post to add some info & links that may be helpful for others on a similar quest.
    5/15: NZ CAA FAQ, CAA Forms (see 24061/18 for VFR), AOPA NZ Useful Links, IAOPA NZ, Flying NZ, FlyInn NZ, NZ Aviation Federation. 2005 EAA article, 2012 AOPA article.
    5/16: Ardmore Flying School, Auckland Aero Club.
    Last edited by JohnSBA; 05-16-2016 at 10:24 PM.

I can't give you specific rental places but from my trip there a couple of years ago, the GA activity is high. You will have no problem finding something to rent. We toured the South Island on a motorcycle and absolutely fell in love with the people, the country etc. Have some Hokey Pokey and White Bait Patties. They will direct you to the best place for both. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Fox Glacier and did a helicopter tour up to the top of Mt. Cook...wonderful.
    Another option instead of a car or motorcycle is to rent an RV...they have a complete network and it is highly popular.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSBA View Post
    My wife and I have a 172Q based at KSBA and are planning a trip to NZ in December. We've flown VFR in every U.S. state (except HI until this November), Canadian Province, and two islands in the Bahamas. Now we'd like to spend much of our remaining life savings flying commercial to NZ via HI, touring those beautiful lands by car and 172. I'm active in Chapter 527 and would like to connect with EAA and/or NZ/HI aviators.

I've searched the forum and not found anything recent on the topic of U.S. pilots renting 172(s) in NZ. I'm also an AOPA member and haven't yet found anything on their website either. Can anyone here direct me to any resources regarding renting 172s in Australia & NZ during that December 2016 time frame? Will I need an international pilot's license? Any help will be appreciated.

In case you'd like any more info about us, check out our blog: https://ja4u.net/
    There you can find narrative and pix from most of our flying adventures along with links in the right column to our direct email Contact form, larger versions of my favorite pix, and my submissions (mostly aerial pix) on the local news and info website Edhat.com

Thanks in advance for any help or tips you can share.

I've never been to NZ, but can relate my experiences on another trip.

I spent several weeks in the UK in 2003. I knew I'd have a few weekends available, so I took my log book with me. I just drove up to a local airport (mostly private-pilot operations) and found an FBO. Scheduled a flight with an instructor. The US certificate is recognized by the UK and I'm assuming, most countries. I would have been allowed to fly solo if I spent a few hours in checkout, but for me, it was fine to just have an instructor present for the short time I was there. Aside from very few differences in their ATC system and use of QNE/QNH settings, it was a blast. When I made a comment about not being used to altimeter settings in millibars, the instructor (in typical dry British response) looked at me and said, "You're in the rest of the world now. Get used to it!"

Main issue keeping me from flying more while there was the cost. At the time (remember - 2003), it was $200 USD per hour for a '60's vintage 172. Plus the cost of the instructor.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

You could ask on this aviation forum. This sub-forum covers Kiwi country.

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    the GA activity is high
    This was helpful to know this morning, as I began seeking info online. At first it seemed there wasn't much but your reply helped sustain me, and now I'm starting to accumulate links and info. At some point I'll post a followup with a summary and some links in the hope it's helpful for others in the future.

You will have no problem finding something to rent
    Happily this does seem to be the case. I've not yet tried to find out how much it will cost, but am reminded of when we bought our plane a few years back. My wife asked our friend with a "superhawk" (172N w/180hp upgrade), "How do you budget your flying?" After a long pause our friend replied that she flies, then "Budget's what's left." We still smile at that, because it's silly to budget our aviation addiction.

We've somewhat taken on our friend's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    just drove up to a local airport (mostly private-pilot operations) and found an FBO
    We may do some of that, but so far my vision is to arrange a plane we can take for a few days. My main interest is in touring the country by air, supplemented by ground experiences. This is how we've toured North America, and has led to innumerable experiences of a lifetime. Happily we'll be in NZ long enough to tour a lot by car and other ground transport, but to me that supplements the flying. We'll see how that theory holds up to actual planning, and then the inevitable chaos that has shredded every plan we've ever made.

Main issue keeping me from flying more while there was the cost
    sigh...

I'm trying not to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Check 6 View Post
    You could ask on this aviation forum
    Thanks for the link. It seems to be nearly all about airline and IFR pilots, but maybe at some point it can help me connect with GA people there or from elsewhere who have done what we're hoping to there.

These guys can probably help:
    http://www.flyinn.co.nz/

You need a NZ PPL validation to be able to fly as Pilot in Command here in New Zealand.

To qualify for this, you will need to have a PPL or higher license, issued by a member state of ICAO. Your license must be current, and valid for use in your home country – i.e. you must have a current medical and have undergone a Biennial Flight Review (BFR) – check ride – in your home country. Both these documents need to remain valid for the time frame of your NZ Validation.

An instrument rating is not needed and we do not fly IFR. However, you need to have at least 5 hrs simulated instrument training as this is a requirement for a NZ PPL. NZ CAA also require that you have flown / have a rating on the same type of aircraft that you will fly here in New Zealand.

The process for validation of your license is handled by Flyinn. You will receive the necessary paperwork prior to your arrival. By completing this and sending it back to us, we then submit it to our Aviation Authority in readiness for your arrival. On your arrival you will have a thorough briefing, and check ride (BFR) with one of our friendly and experienced Instructors. Once this has been completed, your application can then be processed, and license issued. A recent new requirement for a NZ PPL is training in terrain awareness. This is covered in your initial flying with us.

For mountain and back-country flying Flyinn Tours will provide a personal host and guide to travel with you in the aircraft. This is to enable you to explore our most interesting locations with complete enjoyment and safety.
    I know a guy who stayed and flew there and had a fantastic time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    These guys can probably help
    Thanks for another strong reco for FlyInn. I'm sure we'd absolutely love going with them, but my sense so far is that our battered budget couldn't stretch that far. As you may have noticed, I put their link in my growing list at the bottom of the first post in this thread. At some point I hope to find time for also posting my notes on researching all the options.