Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 AirVenture NOTAM

Byron J. Covey
    Please take the time to research the political positions of AARP before joining. You may find that you do not support their agenda. Every business that advertises AARP discounts has given me the same discount because of my age; they know that many of us are opposed to the AARP's political actions.

YMMV, so do your homework.

BJC

Guys, the AARP thing was a joke. Let's not derail this otherwise useful thread.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by obmaha View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this will effect the controllers and MKE, ZMP, and ZAU with leaving the ads-b transponders on. I think it will be great for the pilots but have a feeling it will be a negative for the controllers. Non stop false confliction alerts, alarms going off, etc but I good thing to test this year.
    First of August I hope you'll tell us how it went.

Mike E

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    First of August I hope you'll tell us how it went.

Mike E

I will try and get as much feedback from the controllers as I can. I know that after the show is over they usually try to decompress a little.

Also we (National Air Traffic Controller Association) are working on a tip sheet for pilots departing Oshkosh this year and what to expect from the surrounding tracons and centers as well as tips. If you have any comments or questions please let me know. We are trying to address things that will both pilots and controllers with the flow of traffic out of Oshkosh. Next year we will focus on pilots flying to Oshkosh. Hope to see all of you at the NATCA booth.

Last year, while practicing formation in preparation for Bonanzas to Oshkosh, I found out that turning an ads-b transponder to standby does not silence it in foreflight, and I assume other ads-b monitoring facilities. My wingman had his transponder on standby, and I was reporting to ATC as a flight of two and they never mentioned anything. However, I could still see him on foreflight and was constantly getting the "omg you are going to die because you have an aircraft within 100 feet of your positions" messages. Once he pulled the breaker to the transponder, he finally "went away".

Quote Originally Posted by marktrav View Post
    Last year, while practicing formation in preparation for Bonanzas to Oshkosh, I found out that turning an ads-b transponder to standby does not silence it in foreflight, and I assume other ads-b monitoring facilities. My wingman had his transponder on standby, and I was reporting to ATC as a flight of two and they never mentioned anything. However, I could still see him on foreflight and was constantly getting the "omg you are going to die because you have an aircraft within 100 feet of your positions" messages. Once he pulled the breaker to the transponder, he finally "went away".
    Interesting. What do you have for a Transponder and ADS-B?

ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    Interesting. What do you have for a Transponder and ADS-B?

ted
    I'm pretty sure he has a Garmin GTX-300ES. I've got a request to him to verify.

I was using a Stratus II w/Foreflight.

(My transponder/ADS-B wouldn't be the issue here, but since you asked, I have the Avidyne 540/340 combo)

Quote Originally Posted by marktrav View Post
    I'm pretty sure he has a Garmin GTX-300ES. I've got a request to him to verify.

I was using a Stratus II w/Foreflight.

(My transponder/ADS-B wouldn't be the issue here, but since you asked, I have the Avidyne 540/340 combo)
    Aha! Your Stratus II ADS-B receiver listens for any ADS-B it hears.

With your transponder in Standby, your Stratus being within the hockey puck of your wingman, picked up the ADS-B In information that was transmitted in response to his Xpdr squawks.

When he put his Xpdr in Standby, the ground based ADS-B no longer tried to send him Info since he became invisible once his Xpdr went to Standby.