Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 AirVenture NOTAM

2016 AirVenture NOTAM

Has anyone heard when will the 2016 NOTAM be available? I haven't found it in the EAA AirVenture or FAA websites.

That's interesting. Usually it comes out around the end of April. Since it wasn't in the April 28 book, the next opportunity for publication (on the FAA side) is May 26.

NOTAM in the works

Quote Originally Posted by TeenDoc View Post
    Has anyone heard when will the 2016 NOTAM be available? I haven't found it in the EAA AirVenture or FAA websites.
    The 2016 AirVenture NOTAM is awaiting a few changes by FAA, hopefully to be resolved in the next few days.

While the basic VFR arrival procedure will be much the same as in prior years, there are many changes throughout the document, so you'll certainly want to get and read the 2016 NOTAM when it is available. Among the changes are radio frequencies, the taxiway layout on the north side of Wittman Airport, runway markings, and VFR transponder use.

An EAA webinar on June 8th will highlight all of the NOTAM changes and include tips on flying into AirVenture.

Glad you're making plans for the event -- see you at Oshkosh!

-Fred Stadler
    EAA NOTAM volunteer chairman

2016 AirVenture NOTAM

Thanks for the update Fred. I was beginning to get nervous. By this time every year I usually have a bunch to distribute to our Cessnas 2 Oshkosh pilots in Juneau.

NOTAM is now online

The 2016 AirVenture NOTAM is now online at www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/eaa-airventure-oshkosh-notam

A link to order the free, printed-booklet version of the NOTAM will be available in the next few days.

How about the FAA change it from turn transponder to Standby at 30nm, to leave transponders On so that we can all see each other on the FAA mandated ADS-B so that the 13000 of us using see and avoid don't bump into each other. Even leaving Transponders On till RIPON would be a significant improvement in SA at that funnel.Ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    How about the FAA change it from turn transponder to Standby at 30nm, to leave transponders On so that we can all see each other on the FAA mandated ADS-B so that the 13000 of us using see and avoid don't bump into each other. Even leaving Transponders On till RIPON would be a significant improvement in SA at that funnel.Ted
    Yes, Ted, I was expecting that change this year, too. Not there, huh? I'd like to see the reason for that rule, with some quantitative analysis, not just "too many, it'd saturate their radar." My guess is it's to make IFRs more readily visible on the radar screen, since their transponders have to be left on.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Yes, Ted, I was expecting that change this year, too. Not there, huh? I'd like to see the reason for that rule, with some quantitative analysis, not just "too many, it'd saturate their radar." My guess is it's to make IFRs more readily visible on the radar screen, since their transponders have to be left on.
    I sent a note to a Big Wig Pal in DC asking him to help me get a substantive answer rather than the "brush off...it will saturate our radar" answer.At the risk of self incrimination, I kept my Xpndr on all the way to RIPON last year and saw that many had likewise "forgotten" to strangle their parrot. I think we ALL should keep our Parrots squawking all the way RIPON and see if Uncle suffers any ill effects. If so they can update their ATIS with an emphatic "Turn your transponders Off cuz it is causing problems!"Ted

With that many airplanes in that small of a chuck of sky, I wonder if ADS-B traffic would really add to the level of safety. Given that it would cause a lot more head-down time, I think it might actually make things worse.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    With that many airplanes in that small of a chuck of sky, I wonder if ADS-B traffic would really add to the level of safety. Given that it would cause a lot more head-down time, I think it might actually make things worse.
    Next to no heads down time. I keep my head on a swivel. But it did cue me to some I hadn't spotted yet, and one guy who had significant overtake. I will tell you as an AARP pilot, it helps me spot aircraft at ranges I can no longer do uncued.
    Last edited by TedK; 05-22-2016 at 01:05 PM.