Thread: Corvair College

Big Grin Corvair College

Hi,
    I just got back from Corvair College 38. I ran my engine for the first time. Great experience.
    Really meets the EAA legend of "Learn, Build and Fly". I recommend this path if you need between 90 and 120 HP.
    Good people, good education, good time.

Is the corvair going in a Vision? Like your handle suggest?

Yes, Marty,
    My second build (first was a Varieze) is a Vision EX. It is a great plan's built plane with a mission for traveling and the occasional aerobatics.
    I am building it with a 3L Corvair of 120 HP. 401 is my plan's number. I wish I could point out completed airplanes. More than 415 plansets have been sold, but only three or so have flown. The advantages of composite plans built planes is not evident in the number of completed airplanes. Plan built planes require extra commitment from the builders as not everything is decided for them. The chapter on engine install is mostly a reminder of the prop centerline and to build the motor mount to ensure the weight and balance turns out correct. I have less than 1800 hours building and about 200 hours away from first flight. I did not dither over decisions of how to do things and did not work at fly-in competition standards as I rather have a completed aircraft than a perfect one that is not finished. There are a few dedicated builders as it is a solid design. I can't wait to publish actual flight numbers as I think that may attract more builders or to get the stalled builders back into the shop. What is your interest in the Vision? Do you have any questions I can answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vision401 View Post
    More than 415 plansets have been sold, but only three or so have flown. The advantages of composite plans built planes is not evident in the number of completed airplanes. Plan built planes require extra commitment from the builders as not everything is decided for them.
    Those are interesting numbers......I would guess nobody likes the labor intensive wet layup method anymore?? You knew what you were getting into and are probably a few notches higher on the building efficiency scale.

I have less than 1800 hours building and about 200 hours away from first flight. I did not dither over decisions of how to do things and did not work at fly-in competition standards as I rather have a completed aircraft than a perfect one that is not finished.
    I'm sure it will be just fine and hope I get a guided tour one day.

Marty, you are closer to Scott than to me.
    Scott VanderVeen
    Owner--Pro-Composites, Inc.
    Phone: 847-271-4795
    Email: info@pro-composites.com

Address:
    Pro-Composites, Inc, #369
    113 McHenry Road
    Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

He also puts on composite workshops at EAA AirVenture, etc.
    Name:  alan plane 1.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  50.8 KB

Good to have another 'vair in the air. I've got 175 hours on mine (actually Jake Jaks Pober Jr Ace) and its a strong, reliable powerplant.