Thread: First ever Colorado seaplane splash-in on May 14th

First ever Colorado seaplane splash-in on May 14th

The Seaplane Pilots Association has been attempting to persuade Colorado state authorities to permit seaplanes to use state operated lakes in Colorado, without success so far. Many authorities governing other non-state lakes have followed the state's lead. As a result, Colorado is the only state in the entire United States which has prohibited seaplanes.

But the authorities who govern Meredith Lake, near La Junta in southeast Colorado, have agreed to permit seaplanes, so the first ever Colorado splash-in is scheduled for May 14th. We're hoping to have several seaplanes, but also of course we hope anyone with an interest in airplanes in general will come. Camping is free, so I plan to camp for the weekend and help out.

Come join us--should be fun!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Banned
    Wishing you and the organizers all the best with your first Splash-In. Hope you get a great, exciting turnout. Also wishing you the best of luck in convincing the authorities to open up as many water areas as possible to the joys of seaplane flying and the economic benefits that it will bring.

Your situation makes me very happy and grateful that I live and fly in a province that has many thousands of lakes and waterways that welcome seaplanes without restrictions. I'm pretty sure that the only restrictions are for those lakes that are within the boundaries of provincial and national parks.

I'm curious, what's the difference between a state lake and a non-state lake? Here in Ontario a lake is a lake, at least it is to me and others.

Most waters in Colorado are owned and managed by the state, but some are privately owned or owned by counties or municipalities. There are also some federally owned by the Bureau of Reclamation, which has its own rules.

Thanks for your well-wishes. I'm looking forward to it.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee