Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music System Installation Help Needed

Music System Installation Help Needed

My Fly Baby looks like an antique airplane. I've always wanted to install a music system so I can listen to tunes while flying, but wanted a. system that matches the antique appearance of the Fly Baby.

I've found the perfect setup...but am having trouble figuring out how to install it in my airplane. Anybody have a good suggestion?

Ron Wanttaja

Ron,
    i would suggest duct tape if you are on a budget or drywall screws and gorilla glue for that ' no expense spared ' professional look.
    just my two cents.
    rick
    p.s. The legs on the stand look just far enough apart to straddle the turtle deck. I would start by trying it there.
    Just to show that I KNOW what I am talking about, here is a picture of my last install of a sub woofer in my neighbors homebuilt.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  18.1 KB

notice how I chose a ratchet strap to hold the thing in place for and aft as we know that one holding it from moving up and down is not necessary as turbulence never happens. Let me know if I can be of further help
    Last edited by wyoranch; 04-01-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Ron, perhaps it could also double as a vacuum venturi for one of those surplus Spitfire gyro horizons all the pilot shops were selling a few years back...

Simple enough.

Player goes on the wing on the walk area and the horn replaced with a speaking tube, like those found on ships. Rather than put it to your mouth, you press it against your ear - or better, mount it onto your flying helmet.

I recommend bungee cords around the wing to hold it in place.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 04-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank, just because you built an airplane does not make you an aerospace engineer. Bungees are ONLY for holding the wing ON the airplane, Velcro is for attaching TO the wing. It is right in chapter 3 of my copy of Aircraft Design for Dummies. That book has been a bible to me ever since I was issued it during my undergrad days at Dewy, Screwem and How university.
    Ron,
    You may want to buy the upgraded charging system for your sound system. I understand that there is a wind turbine attachment for your brand that will turn the crank for you. I reaaly love how much easier technology has improved our lives.

Ron, having been a bass player in a previous life, I would opt to mount it in the back under the turtle deck, and use the horn to replace the head rest.
    Dave

Ron, you could just sit on it? Naw, that would never work! You'd never feel a thing....
    C 172 Pilot
    Mike Sundstrom
    EAA 1019808

Quote Originally Posted by C 172 Pilot View Post
    Ron, you could just sit on it? Naw, that would never work! You'd never feel a thing....
    Well, the big 'ol horn is fed from a short bit of rubber tubing from the needle and diaphragm....I could stick it in any convenient orifice.

More incentive to avoid bounced landings....

Ron "Easy does it" Wanttaja

Somebody asked what I had for a home entertainment system and I pointed out that mine was a Yamaha DC5A, a 6' 7" grand piano with a player mechanism. For inflight use, I have to go with a more portable setup... I'll have to get a picture of me with it in the Navion.

Name:  accordion.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  93.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Somebody asked what I had for a home entertainment system and I pointed out that mine was a Yamaha DC5A, a 6' 7" grand piano with a player mechanism. For inflight use, I have to go with a more portable setup... I'll have to get a picture of me with it in the Navion.
    Gotta be careful about that. I know a guy who parked his car downtown, and left his accordion in plain sight, in the back seat.

Sure enough, when he came back, his car had been broken into. Whoever did it, they left three more accordions.....

Ron "Pop Gun Polka" Wanttaja