Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

Youth Protection Policy

We are the EAA. The membership. The Chapters. You " eaa corporate " work & exist to support us not the other way around! We are not happy or satisfied with this situation!!!!

I find it inappropriate and heavy handed to LOCK the original ongoing discussion. You can't tell us to set down shut up and get with the program just because you don't like the way the conversation is going!!!!

E.M.Dunnavant , President Chapter 1202
    Last edited by djenders; 03-17-2016 at 10:24 AM.

I have been quiet during this entire fiasco. I have tried to give corporate a chance to straighten everything out. I do not fly Young Eagles as I have a two place experimental. My problem is the heavy handed way corporate has handled this. They are not treating members as the reason for EAA's existence. If we stop paying dues, they go home, as well. This is what I have decided to do. My membership is up in about a month. Corporate won't miss my or my wife's membership money; but, if enough people quit, they might notice. This is not the club I joined quite a while ago. This group was once about planes and the people who flew them. I realize that times change. In today's environment child abuse is an important issue. I don't have a problem with that idea. I do have a problem with being treated with the attitude that we have seen from corporate. It has been fun; but, I am through.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Maule View Post
    I find it inappropriate and heavy handed to LOCK the original ongoing discussion. You can't tell us to set down shut up and get with the program just because you don't like the way the conversation is going!!!!
    Well...I doubt that anyone expected that discussion on this topic would cease just by locking the original thread. If they start going through and locking each new thread on the topic as it starts, THEN they'll have a problem.

A large portion of the original thread was obsolete; it discussed aspects of the YPP that no longer existed. A lot of newcomers look at a thread from the start, and may get somewhat of a wrong impression reading the original thread. By starting this new thread, the discussion can focus on the CURRENT policy. Any discussion on the lame-brained way they shoved it out onto the membership is just a bonus. :-)

Coincidentally, my membership came due last month. I did renew... shoot, $40 a year is cheap for this kind of quality entertainment!

Ron Wanttaja

I sent an email last night to national about my disappointment in management over the last 6 weeks. Closing this thread further demonstrated the exact things we as members need to be concerned about. That said, some comments have been very repetitive, mean spirited, and essentially putting staffers in a position they do not deserve to be. If a staffer can't answer your question to your liking, take it further up the ladder with a personal email or phone call. That is exactly what I intend to do.

My chapter has provided just under 5,000 YE flights. While I understand the desire to have a policy in place, this one still needs a lot of work or our count rate will drop a ton. I suspect a lot of chapters will be in the same boat as ours. Have no doubt, we WANT to continue flying kids, and will support a reasonable YPP, but as a member based organization, the entire membership should have been involved with the drafting and acceptance of this policy. Had this route been taken, the dissention would have been against the membership majority, not our leadership at national. We truly need stronger management and leadership skills representing us. This is really the root issue we are dealing with.

Believing the current number of members having completed the YPP and background checks is indicative of acceptance by membership and future success of the YE program is likely not accurate. Maybe a good start in demonstrating true leadership skills at national would be to send out an objective questionaire to every chapter president in EAA about the YPP, it's current rules and what the suggestios are to make it more workable, as well as more palatable. This is not a "for profit" business, with leadership making decisions with little regard to the troops. This is a member organization, and leadership should be responding to membership input. Sadly, lately this is looking a lot more like a government run organization, with total disregard for the people they represent.

Tom Sullivan
    EAA Chapter 439 President
    Last edited by Yooper Rocketman; 03-17-2016 at 07:25 AM.

My first reaction to the closing of the other thread was the "shut up and go away" reaction. However, the previous thread had become a back and forth of EAA Staff repeating the company line ad nauseam in reply to every concern and had drifted away from any kind of real discussion. Upper management won't touch the forum as they don't want to get dragged into the muck. The staff clearly didn't have anything else to say other than "This is what we are doing. Like it or lump it.", which was clearly implied anyway. At least they were polite while telling many of us to buzz off. Yes, the entertainment value here is cheap, but I can't willingly put my energy or $$ into the EAA anymore. It's clearly not a member run organization. So I'll go away when my membership expires. Until then, I'll stick around for the entertainment.

-Cub Builder

As I read this I had a disturbing thought. AirVenture is a huge event and makes a lot of money for EAA. Could it be that the powers that be wish to shut down all chapter and individual activity and concentrate solely on AirVenture. Would previous to the change members fly to AirVenture to display their airplane and look at all the others on display?

Will enough folks attend the show just to see a few airplanes and watch the airshow?

Will the EAA members that fly the airshow continue to do so?

It's a disturbing thought but companies have changed direction the same as the wind does.

Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
    As I read this I had a disturbing thought. AirVenture is a huge event and makes a lot of money for EAA. Could it be that the powers that be wish to shut down all chapter and individual activity and concentrate solely on AirVenture. Would previous to the change members fly to AirVenture to display their airplane and look at all the others on display?

Will enough folks attend the show just to see a few airplanes and watch the airshow?

It's a disturbing thought but companies have changed direction the same as the wind does.

I can assure you there is no conspiracy theory. The investments EAA has made to put full-time staff on EAA Chapters is at a level that hasn't been seen in years. Completely opposite to what you're suggesting, chapter growth and revitalization is among the very top priorities in the entire organization, and it's not just words. They're putting the money and staff on it to back that up.
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Well...I doubt that anyone expected that discussion on this topic would cease just by locking the original thread. If they start going through and locking each new thread on the topic as it starts, THEN they'll have a problem.

A large portion of the original thread was obsolete; it discussed aspects of the YPP that no longer existed. A lot of newcomers look at a thread from the start, and may get somewhat of a wrong impression reading the original thread. By starting this new thread, the discussion can focus on the CURRENT policy. Any discussion on the lame-brained way they shoved it out onto the membership is just a bonus. :-)

Coincidentally, my membership came due last month. I did renew... shoot, $40 a year is cheap for this kind of quality entertainment!

Ron Wanttaja
    Thanks Ron, you expressed it well. There was a lot of discussion in that thread about the previous policy and we have tried to absorb that feedback as an organization to improve the policy while still working hard to protect youth, our YE pilots, volunteers, chapters, and of course the organization as a whole.

The point wasn't to shut down the conversation, per my last post, but to continue it in a respectable fashion so we do not continue to confuse people about any part of the policy.

Thanks for understanding.
    Dennis
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post

Absolutely not. As Eric noted, the organization has invested heavily (time and people) to improve our support for chapters.

Regards,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper Rocketman View Post
    I sent an email last night to national about my disappointment in management over the last 6 weeks. Closing this thread further demonstrated the exact things we as members need to be concerned about. That said, some comments have been very repetitive, mean spirited, and essentially putting staffers in a position they do not deserve to be. If a staffer can't answer your question to your liking, take it further up the ladder with a personal email or phone call. That is exactly what I intend to do.

My chapter has provided just under 5,000 YE flights. While I understand the desire to have a policy in place, this one still needs a lot of work or our count rate will drop a ton. I suspect a lot of chapters will be in the same boat as ours. Have no doubt, we WANT to continue flying kids, and will support a reasonable YPP, but as a member based organization, the entire membership should have been involved with the drafting and acceptance of this policy. Had this route been taken, the dissention would have been against the membership majority, not our leadership at national. We truly need stronger management and leadership skills representing us. This is really the root issue we are dealing with.

Believing the current number of members having completed the YPP and background checks is indicative of acceptance by membership and future success of the YE program is likely not accurate. Maybe a good start in demonstrating true leadership skills at national would be to send out an objective questionaire to every chapter president in EAA about the YPP, it's current rules and what the suggestios are to make it more workable, as well as more palatable. This is not a "for profit" business, with leadership making decisions with little regard to the troops. This is a member organization, and leadership should be responding to membership input. Sadly, lately this is looking a lot more like a government run organization, with total disregard for the people they represent.

Tom Sullivan
    EAA Chapter 439 President
    Tom, thank you for the thoughtful post. The organization has really worked hard to answer calls and e-mails from our members, pilots, and YE volunteers to improve the policy. I highly recommend doing exactly what you did, share your thoughts and have a conversation with our team members.

The Young Eagles program has been safe to date, but we've had some close calls – as illustrated in our communications and the recent webinar. EAA is invested in keeping the program safe for everyone involved, and hope that all of you continue to support the program.

My personal thoughts....

The back and forth here in the forum isn't going to change the very important decision to keep youth safe. Even one incident is one too many. We value the feedback we've received here and elsewhere. It is clear the organization is listening and we have acknowledged that we could have done a better job communicating the policy and rollout. We care about how you feel, and truly appreciate your participation.

You do mention leadership, and I understand your perspective. Again, personally I think we have come to the conclusion that the risk to YE volunteers, chapters, and the organization is just too high. The policy is in place to protect you, as well as the youth.

I understand why some members took it personally. We did not intend to offend anyone with the background check or policy. It isn't a matter of trust, but the reality of the world we live in today. We have a responsibility to protect youth.

The Young Eagles program, and everyone who has participated, have much to be proud of. Nearly 2 million youth have been flown. That is an incredible number and success!

Thank you for your participation. I hope you and chapter 439 continue to support the program you have helped build.