Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We've always gave rides, so why do we need permission from any one to give rides.
    Young Eagles has always been a local event, why can't we continue as a local event.

Interestingly I looked at the California Boy Scout web site under their Youth Protection Program, http://www.bsa-ciec.org/training/you...training/10087. They do not require formal "background" checks and their use of volunteers is much more liberal. I could live with the BSA requirements, The EAA requirements and much more stringent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    We've always gave rides, so why do we need permission from any one to give rides.
    Young Eagles has always been a local event, why can't we continue as a local event.
    I never go look for kids to give plane rides but if someone ask me about it, I'll make sure they get a plane ride- from the pilot seat.

It is a laudable goal to have background security checks to protect kids, but why would anyone submit to a background check with risks like this? Unless EAA can figure out a better way to do this (in other words, without pilots giving their SSN to anyone outside the government), this is quite likely to basically "kill" the YE program. Perhaps that is what someone really wanted to do and this is a good way to do it? I have really enjoyed flying YE kids in the past, but having been the victim of identity theft, I have no desire whatsoever - for any reason - to go through that mess again...There has to be a better way.

According to EAA HQ the following vendor was contracted to complete the backgrounds: AmericanChecked, Inc.

AmericanChecked is a national background screening company that services the Native American gaming and non-profit markets. The three founders of this woman-owned company share a collective 40 years of experience in the background screening industry.
    Press Release
    Tulsa, OK – July 13, 2015 – Effective Immediately

On July 1, 2015, AmericanChecked Inc. was officially certified for membership in the Chickasaw Nation Preferred Vendor Program.

AmericanChecked Inc. is a nationally accredited, Native/Woman-owned background screening solutions provider based in Tulsa, OK specializing in meeting the diverse screening needs of Indian Country.

The Chickasaw Nation Preferred Vendor Program was established in November, 2008. It has been and is currently the policy of the Nation to continue increasing business opportunities for qualified Chickasaw and other Native American owned businesses as well as other federally recognized minorities.

This recognized program reflects the Chickasaw Nation’s mission statement: “To enhance the overall quality of life of the Chickasaw people.”

Julie Hakman, President of AmericanChecked
    http://www.tribaltrac.com/americanch...vendor-status/
    http://www.bbb.org/tulsa/business-re...sa-ok-38001574

Quote Originally Posted by gearisgreen View Post
    According to EAA HQ the following vendor was contracted to complete the backgrounds: AmericanChecked, Inc.
    Please note that back on post #43, it has been shown that the SSLC for the website that we are directed to for inputting our information does not belong to AmericanChecked, but BackChecked, LLC in Phoenix, AZ. Nowhere in any of the available information shows any connection between the companies.

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    -----------
    However, I stopped at the online application for a criminal background check. In the Age of Hacking, we're all taught that we should never submit our name, DOB, and SSN online. Even if legit, most companies have a miserable record at protecting data. So who the heck is this hired background security check company, and why should I trust them with personal data fundamental to identity theft?

I totally agree with the issue on sending all critical numbers for identity theft to any one. HIGH RISK. If the Veterans, Federal Gov, hospitals, can hack the info why does EAA need it? I just5 had a background from State police why didn't the EAA just check there is already one completed. I did send the info in against my better judgment hope it doesn't bite me later. I think this can and has the potential to have a negative effect on YE. Several pilots that fly YE have had state back ground checks and are reluctant to all the record keeping of who's trained, who isn't keeping chapter records, permission slips. Getting to be a police state with too much red tape.