Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

This is sad. Shame on EAA. The FAR's and previous EAA policy/procedures were quite adequate to give rides. Oh well, I didn't give many rides so going from "some to none" won't matter.

This is my first response to an issue.

This one really sticks in my craw. With nearly 2 million Young Eagle being registered, I was wondering how many incidents of child molestation occurred that prompted this???

I recently received a nice Young Eagles Flight Leader hat with a chevron patch for 50 missions. I've volunteered my C-172 and my piloting skills over the last two years. It's been a fun thing to do one Saturday per month. Two days after receiving the hat, I got the notice from Young Eagles about the Youth Protection program. I read through the Policy, the Questions and Answers and have even taken the their course. I decided not to go through the background check when I thought...why should I open up my life's history for a volunteer activity? Even though my background check would come back as superior, this activity is not that important to me that can't live without it. It's no longer fun.

Next thing they'll have separate tables at our pancake breakfast for under 18 and over 18. Watch out, don't let that kid sit next to you while you enjoy your pancake. You might get accused of something.

Come May 1, I think the Young Eagles program just lost one more pilot.

Jim Faix
    Sarasota FL

Aviation Days

This is the beginning of the END of the Young Eagles program. SO SAD! I will guess, we will lose 80-90% of our Young Eagle pilots. Our chapter holds Aviation Days at the airport and has hosted Girl Scouts, Cub/Boy Scouts and the local youth introducing them to aviation. Per the FAQ, this program WILL require the same. The demise of this program also. Is my hope the EAA rethinks the new requirements. Is Jack Pelton aware of the proposal and the outcry from the membership?? The silence of the EAA staff and a statement from Jack Pelton is truly deafening. In five days, this post has garnered over 10,000 views and more then 160 replies. Encourage everyone to POST your thoughts!! The EAA may just listen.
    Last edited by Marty Santic; 01-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Dear EAA,

Here is your lesson learned:

In the future, bring in the stakeholders, the people that are actually performing the activity and have them give input on best practices to implement new policies.

What you have here is the result of a "good idea" from people who have no idea of how things actually work.

I have no doubt that ALL management has their eyes on this thread and a staff person dedicated to fielding all the calls. I am sure it was expected and introducing this program during this time of year ( off season) was the plan to give ALL time to reflect.
    I personally understand and accept the added responsibilities of working with youth and their protection. I hope that the logistical issues of event staffing can be worked out and the program survive.
    Members of my chapter no longer fly YE for other reasons but are available for "ground support".
    Jim Heffelfinger
    Chapter 52
    Sacramento
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 01-25-2016 at 11:14 AM.

To the EAA Leadership and Young Eagle Team:

Right now I have in front of me two lapel pins received from the EAA Young Eagles Office this past month. One is for being the Young Eagle Coordinator for Chapter 1445 during 2015 (an honor I have held for the last three years). The other pin is for flying ten or more Young Eagles during the same year. Both are well-earned and mean a lot to me. Unfortunately, these two pins may be the last I ever receive.

I was shocked when I read the letter from the EAA Young Eagles office last week. I had to keep looking at the letterhead to make sure it was really from the EAA. Mandates are usually initiated by a regulatory organization such as the FAA, not a support and volunteer organization such as the EAA. I urge the EAA leadership to poll its members before establishing directives such as background checks. Volunteers do not like being told what to do in the manner presented in your letter. Reasoning beyond "best practices" needs to be fully explained.

Maybe we should ramp up the program now and try to fly the remainder of two million Young Eagles by April 30, 2016. If the EAA leadership doesn't take a hard look at its new policy and make change(s), that just may be the sad day I fly my last Young Eagle. Who will suffer then? It's time to follow the guidance of our common sense.

Mark Weiss
    EAA 681690

Yeah, well I'm one who took the training, thought better of the security check requirement, and will not participate unless it's changed.

So strike one from your list of sheep.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    I would like to clarify a few things for everyone without interfering with your dialogue. EAA believes in letting our membership communicate freely, as many of you have here.

This policy is not intended to “kill” anything. It is intended to keep kids safe and to keep our programs alive and thriving for another 63 years.

EAA volunteers are the highest quality volunteers anywhere, and we have no suspicions that any of you have anything but positive intentions.
    It doesn't really matter whether you (EAA policymakers, not you personally, Brett) intended to do the wrong thing. It is still wrong.

If you truly believe that about your volunteers, and are not being compelled by some government agency, this is even more ludicrous.

Sorry, but it's just not the right thing to do. I wish I'd thought more about it, or read some of the excellent discussion here, before I completed the background check form. I was feeling the hair stand up on my neck when I did it, but assumed (I know, I know) it was OK, because it was EAA. Then, with time, I decided it was NOT OK. Unfortunately, I can't undo my submission, even seconds later. (Another issue, IMHO).

Yes, Mark, it would make a difference.

I'd still be insulted by the requirement, but a lot of the objection does indeed have to do with the SSN requirement.

Ron

Does anyone have the actual letter they could share on here? Not the post on the website or e-Hotline, the letter that was sent out. If you could scan it & attach it, that would be helpful to those of us who haven't received it.

Thanks