Thread: 2014 "Best Sellers"

2014 "Best Sellers"

Blustery Saturday afternoon, no flying, don't feel like working in the shop or hangar. Might as well bust some numbers.

This is a summary of the new Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft added to the FAA registry in 2014. It includes only those types that constituted 2% or more of the new homebuilts added. The percentage of the total homebuilts added is also given.

Challenger 23 (2.1%)
    Just 26 (2.4%)
    Kitfox 28 (2.6%)
    Lancair 33 (3.0%)
    RANS 31 (2.9%)
    Sonex 40 (3.7%) Includes 14 Onex, 8 Waiex
    Vans 259 (23.9%) Includes 71 RV-7, 53 RV-8, 36 RV-9, 36 RV-10, 32 RV-6 and smaller numbers of other types
    (RV numbers include both taildragger and nosegear versions)
    Zenair 83 (7.7%) Includes 43 CH-750, 16 CH-601, 12 CH-701, and smaller numbers of other types

This isn't truly the "best sellers for 2014," as the kits for these airplanes had been actually sold several years earlier. But it's a handy term.

Total of 1084 homebuilts added to the roster.

Ron Wanttaja

Hmmm... and how many standard and LSA light singles?

I'm surprised RV's are not 50% or better.

Banned
    A few more numbers and analysis if my math is correct:

The 2% or more of types used here equal only 48.3% of the total E-AB registered or 524 aircraft. Which means that the majority(51.7% or 560 aircraft) registered are made up of many other types, far more than the types constituting 2%+ of total registered. I'd like to know(if your bad weather permits Ron) what other types are mostly being built/flying and registered.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 10-31-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

The 2% or more of types used here equal only 48.3% of the total E-AB registered or 524 aircraft. Which means that the majority(51.7% or 560 aircraft) registered are made up of many other types, far more than the types constituting 2%+ of total registered. I'd like to know(if your bad weather permits Ron) what other types are mostly being built/flying and registered.
    Just about everything, actually. Baby Aces, Fly Babies, Pietenpols, Avids, Thatchers, Rotorways, Seareys, Carbon Cubs, Glasairs, Glastars, Bearhawks, Christavias, Volksplanes, Pitts, Protechs, Long-Ezs, Variezes, Quickies, Quicksilvers, KRs, Sonerais, Monerais, Stardusters, Skybolts, Teenies, Thorps, Titans, Tailwinds, Zippers (well, *a* Zipper)....

Ron "...and Methodists!" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

I've uploaded a PDF with the list. "Registered Manufacturer" and "Registered Model Name" are how the airplanes are officially designated. "Catalog Name" is the common name that I assign to each type to make it easier to count types. Yes, not all are "caught", but most are relatively rare types that wouldn't affect the "Best Sellers" results.

Ron Wanttaja
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Ron, thanks for the list. So many different types built by so many different people. It answers once again why there are menus in restaurants.