Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What is actual text of PBOR2?

Mike,
    my point was not directed at you. I was surprised when I read the statistics I figured you kids would find the info interesting.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    OK, Ron, Rick, Marty, you have excellent and well-documented points. I'll admit I'm wrong a lot, and will gratefully admit it once again when the recurring 3rd class medical dies as a result of POBR2 passing this congressional session.
    If the legislation dies or fails to pass, I don't think it will be because an airline pilot died while in flight while the legislation was pending. I don't see anything in this scenario that is related to GA. Airlines fly millions of flights, one pilot dies while on duty, plane lands safely because another fully qualified pilot is in the cockpit. Do we want a reg that says we can fly without a medical provided another pilot is on board?

I think what's missing is any relevant data to support voting for/against the proposed legislation. Sport Pilot has been around ~11 yrs now? How many flights/flt hrs have sport pilots flown without medical certification and how many accidents/incidents has occurred due to medical incapacitation? In my region the FSDO has at least a handful of cases but I dunno how that compares to the national picture. If the statistics show there is a <1% chance of a pilot without a medical crashing due to medical incapacitation, the FAA would practically have to endorse it because that meets their own standards for SI.

We have to remember that this is more than just stacking up votes. Lots of bills are filed, but not that many actually make it to the voting stage. The bill has to clear various committees, first, and getting past those committees is really the difficult part. There may be 65-odd Senators co-sponsoring the bill, but if one of the 35 remaining is the committee chair, he or she has a good opportunity to spike the bill and prevent it from coming to a vote of the full chamber.

Even if the committee chair is a nominal supporter of the bill, that doesn't ensure the committee will consider it. They may have higher-priority items they need to address, instead, and PBOR just gets shoved to the side. With elections approaching, Congresscritters will be more interested in issues that can torpedo some candidate or the other, or can enhance their own re-election chances.

Mike has a point, in that one or two members of Congress could use the recent in-flight fatality as a public pretext for not supporting the bill, but the actual *merit* of the bill probably has little influence, at this point. It'll all be other factors beyond the control of us or the bill's sponsors.

Reminds me of that old Bloom County cartoon:

"Ahhhh....catch that scent in the air!"

"Dirty socks?"

"No... Politics!"

Ron "If I am elected...." Wanttaja

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-a...lp-many-pilots
    Irony? Coincidence? You be the judge.....
    Rick

Dear Whomever, Well this cash cow is dry, and will no longer advocate the lobby clap-trap of all the good work that you manage for the GA crowd.
    You made fools out of your most vocal and active members and should be ashamed.
    Now pat yourselves on the back and get about the real work; get busy and send me a mailer for $2.00 off on a $50.00 t-shirt.
    Ps- I truly believe that if not addended to allow for current Sport Pilot Certificate holders to be grandfathered in under the 10 yr medical restriction, this classification will be the next thing on the negotiation block. --

I cant wait to hear the next progress on GA reforms you have for me- print it on a coffee mug.
    Last edited by jpoppa; 10-12-2015 at 08:52 PM.

OK...check my math here...

I am currently inactive, but if I am a private pilot flying as a sport pilot now and I have NOT had a 3rd class medical within the last 10 years, if/when PBOR2 comes along, I appears I will no longer be able to fly unless I go get a 3rd class medical?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post

I am currently inactive, but if I am a private pilot flying as a sport pilot now and I have NOT had a 3rd class medical within the last 10 years, if/when PBOR2 comes along, I appears I will no longer be able to fly unless I go get a 3rd class medical?

If you are a sport pilot nothing changes.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post

You will not be able to fly a non-LSA without a one-time medical if you are a PP (if PBOR2 becomes law). You may continue to fly under SP privileges just as you do today.

Quote Originally Posted by S3flyer View Post
    You will not be able to fly a non-LSA without a one-time medical if you are a PP (if PBOR2 becomes law). You may continue to fly under SP privileges just as you do today.
    Some improvement in getting dormant pilots back into the left seat. Without PBOR2, we'd have to get a 3rd class medical; with PBOR2 we'd have to get a 3rd class medical. Exactly where all this drumbeating and letter-writing is getting us?

Avweb editorial on the status. Not very optimistic.

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/T...-224980-1.html

Ron Wanttaja