Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Nderitu has a Dream

Thanks very much Charlie, I'll shoot you a PM! Cheers from Nairobi, Matthew

One point of order...I think folks living in the USA, Europe and other developed countries sometimes forget that the majority of the population of Earth does not have easy access to the internet and, when they do, it is often slow and expensive. For example, according to the latest World Bank numbers, about 87% of American use the internet vs. about 43% of Kenyans. What that doesn't show is that, with a per capita income of about $1,400 in Kenya vs. about $55,000 in the USA, most people in Kenya are accessing the internet via cheap phones and pay-by-the-MB cellular plans so they are just able to skim the surface, not really dive in. So for Gabriel and most of the rest of the world, the information access that we take for granted just isn't there.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 10-27-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    Matthew,

Thanks for the education on internet usage. The article stated "For years, he restlessly researched experimental aircraft blogs online and trawled NASA's website for nuggets of information." So I had the impression that he unfettered access the internet like we enjoy in the US.

I received your PM and as you suggested will send the following books:
    1) Practical Lightplane Design and Construction for the Amateur
    2) Tony Bingelis set
    3) EAA Sheet Metal Building Basics
    4) EAA Gas Welding

Tailwinds,
    Charlie
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

That's great news, Charlie, thanks.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Matthew,

The 'kitplane construction' book order was confirmed, so it should be coming along. Couple other suggestions, possibilities.

- Aircraft construction may use some unusual terms, would an English dictionary be worthwhile to include? Available cheap in any USA used bookstore
    - What about something as basic as engineering/drafting sheets? Is this something that would be readily available where Gabriel is at?
    - I assume EAA will be including the obligatory t-shirt and/or baseball cap in their care package.

Kim
    Minnesota

Kim, Kitplane Construction has finally arrived, thanks. EAA stuff still on the way. I am still looking for a set of unused, simple plans if anyone has any to donate. I thought I had a set of Pietenpol plans that I was going to throw in myself but I can't find them, so they must be in storage.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Name:  IMG_20160408_173934_edit_edit.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  83.4 KB

All,

I am pleased to say that, while it took some time for many reasons, I was finally able to connect with Gabriel Nderitu yesterday and pass on to him the Fly Baby plans and patch, EAA hat and t-shirt, many books and welding DVD that everyone had sent. Thanks to Kim, Ron, Pete and Charlie (for EAA) for the generous donations.

Gabriel has gotten his self-designed aircraft down to 130 kg (287 lb) empty without the engine, so it's still too heavy to fly with the engine he now has, which is a Hirth F33. He has a wooden prop cut down to size for him by Tennessee Props as well as an Ultraprop, so he is happy with his powerplant but is considering redesigning his plane for partial fabric covering to shed weight.

Talking with Gabriel I found an aviation enthusiast with quite a bit of knowledge but also handicapped by a lack of resources and others to bounce around ideas with. I will keep in touch with him and encourage him to join this and other groups that might be able to help.

Cheers from Nairobi!

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Well done, Matthew. I'm writing up this story for my day job (I'm a blogger at Minnesota Public Radio).

Now we need to get this guy to Oshkosh.

I guess this is turning into an international event, along with a song on You Tube, see here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/commu...gabriel.94189/
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    I guess this is turning into an international event, along with a song on You Tube, see here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/commu...gabriel.94189/
    In this brave new world of the Internet and social media, if Andy Warhol was still alive, he'd have to significantly revise upwards his famous 15 minutes of fame colloquium.

I like many have been following this man's dream from afar.

Any news to report from the past year and a half? Any thoughts on a go-fund-me project to get this guy an ultralight kit that would fly with his small Hirth engine? Or do the logistics make that an impossibility?

If anybody deserves to fly? This fellow has to be near the top of the list.