Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Scholler Sucks

Why Scholler Sucks

People completely oblivious to their actions and having no, none, zero, zilch respect for their neighbors.

So here I am, tenting it amongst another large group of tents. I come back to the site after noon to get out of the sun and find this thing parked right next to us. No problem. Bring what you got. About 20 minutes later I'm dozing off and they fire up an industrial strength (loud) generator. I'm in my tent getting gassed and deafened from them being parked upwind. I get out just in time to see them closing all their windows and getting ready to spend the afternoon in the comfort of their A/C. A little common courtesy would suggest not parking next to a bunch of tents if you are planning to use a generator all day. At the very least, get a Honda, not the cheapest surplus made in china refurb for sale at oil-rigs-r-us.

How about the EAA set aside a non-generator area if members are going to be so ignorant?

Name:  IMG_0122.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  41.0 KB

Then there's the "Hey look at me I'm on a Hardly Davidson and I don't like mufflers" idiots. They're the ones riding though the campground blipping the throttle all day and night. A guy the next row over even has a scooter with the muffler removed to match his rattle-trap POS Harley. Great when the Fly-in theater runs late and these dolts ride back. We know you are probably trailering it to Sturgis after AirVenture. We don't care. This is Oshkosh, not Sturgis. Want to impress us? Show up in a shiny new fire truck. And to the guy with the golf cart with worn out engine - the mosquitoes aren't that bad, you don't need to drive around fogging the campground while people are outside eating dinner.

Maybe quiet time should mean quiet time. No vehicles after 11pm unless you are handicapped or just arriving. If you can walk around the displays all day, you can make it to showers or porta-johns at night without driving.

A little bit of courtesy would make the Airventure better for all

You have a point. There are many people who are inconsiderate of the impact they have on the earth and the other people around them. There were a lot of people on the grounds this year, and with that many people it is even more important for all of us to remember that we are not at home in our own back yard. The consequences of peoples' selfishness and inconsiderateness is that camping areas fill up and many people who wanted to come to enjoy the airshow are either diverted to other airports or stayed home. Below are two examples of tents set up in the North 40; clearly with the intent of taking up an extra space, thus three families that could have camped with their airplane at Oshkosh this year were unable to.
    Name:  tent-2.jpg
Views: 2551
Size:  97.6 KB
    These Texans felt it necessary to not have neighbors

Name:  tent-1.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  91.3 KB
    This Bonanza pilot did not read camping guidelines (within the footprint of your airplane) and does not care that this tents prevent two other airplanes from camping in the North 40.

"How about the EAA set aside a non-generator area if members are going to be so ignorant?"

Actually....they do. Look at the camp map.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    People completely oblivious to their actions and having no, none, zero, zilch respect for their neighbors.
    lol, some things never change. The "rules" in scholler are only guidelines. Nobody enforces them. Attendees are supposed to be neighborly and all that.

Several yrs about I found out around 9:30pm that I had foolishly put my tent right at the finish line of the 1st annual Camp Scholler ATV races (open to all kids under the age of 15 with an ATV, lol). Amazing how much a difference moving my car 10 ft made.

Quote Originally Posted by N4018Niner View Post
    These Texans felt it necessary to not have neighbors
    Just curious, how do you know they were from Texas?

Am I missing something on the Bonanza? It looks like all three tents are within the footprint.

My neighbors were nice in the 'North 40', no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Just curious, how do you know they were from Texas?
    That looks more like a Tennessee "T" on the chairs to me, but my eyesight is no longer eagle-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    That looks more like a Tennessee "T" on the chairs to me, but my eyesight is no longer eagle-eyed.
    I believe you are correct. My wife is from Texas and swears manners and good social skills are a genetic trait of all real Texans . Lol
    rick

Second on the Bonanza picture. Two tents on either side are within the aircraft footprint. The green tent is behind the wing tip of a second aircraft, presumably within the footprint of that airplane. The first picture does seem to be egregious and EAA staff responsible for that area should have pointed it out. It looks like more than one offender.

But that is not Scholler, the subject of the thread.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com