Thread: Kit plane sitting for 5 years, what do I have to do to make it legal?

Kit plane sitting for 5 years, what do I have to do to make it legal?

i bought a Hawk Arrow II back in 2007 or so, It has been 99% complete since '07 or '08.

What do I need to do to make it legal? I have it nearly ready to fly, but I am told that I have to register it and with it having sat so long, I am not sure what to do to make that happen. Motor has 1 hour on it.
    It has a rotax 582, tail dragger, electronic dash.

I am a total newb, go easy on me!

And where do I go to get light sport instruction? If i get my plane legal can I use it for instruction?

Twenty bucks buys you the Certification Kit with all the paperwork and - more importantly - the instructions on how to fill it out properly.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/home...tification-kit

Now go to the FAA website and reserve an N number:

http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/nn/

Five bucks for that.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Call FAA... Do your paperwork through them... Line up a DAR to Inspect for your Airworthiness Cert... and he works with your FAA guy...

Yeah you'll need an N number.... and you'll need a Tail Wheel endorsement... That's about a thousand dollars flying at MINIMUM...
    Even though your close.... Your a long ways away...
    DAR will cost about $250 ? FAA guy is free...
    Be prepared to give a lot of numbers on your plane... W/B and many more...
    Gotta Fly...
    JAM

And where do I go to get light sport instruction? If i get my plane legal can I use it for instruction?

Whoops, I missed this!

If you already have your private pilot's certificate, you're already a "Sport Pilot;" in which case you're talking about is transition training. The
    Hawk Arrow II is tricycle geared, but you should get tail wheel rated anyway. I'll defer to more wise heads, but I don't think one can do any training in an aircraft while it's still in it's 40 hour test period after being blessed off.

If you don't have a pilot certificate, I'd advise getting a Sport Pilot license using a certified aircraft like a Champ. I am biased, but I think if one can fly a Champ decently one can fly any light aircraft decently as well.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by 8KandUP View Post
    i bought a Hawk Arrow II back in 2007 or so, It has been 99% complete since '07 or '08.

What do I need to do to make it legal? I have it nearly ready to fly, but I am told that I have to register it and with it having sat so long, I am not sure what to do to make that happen. Motor has 1 hour on it.
    It has a rotax 582, tail dragger, electronic dash.
    Would help out to know more about what you have. Has the plane ever been registered? Was it amateur built? I think reading and following AC 20-27G would be the place to start.