Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rinse and repeat until they're all done. Sort of scared me, as it only took about an hour, including cutting the flange gusset from stock, bending and crimping it. And ten minutes looking for my Sharpie (yep, in my pocket the whole time).

To make the turtle deck gussets, once again I relied on CLA* materials. In this case, a foam project board that was used as a BB Gun target and a back splash for some painting project or other.

I cut a rectangle of it, put it long ways and measured how high each tube was from the two crossmembers where I wanted them, then cut them down into a step pyramid shape to ensure I was on:

Then it was a matter of cutting circles in some of the beech plywood I used for the flooring:

Cut in some V notch stakes to ensure they fit:

In this case I cut a little shallow so they'd sort of snap in place.

Draw some very accurate lines between the notches:

Cut with a jigsaw along the lines, sand, and secure on the tubing with some nylon covered clamp thingies using 1/4" inch bolts, washers, and locking nuts.

A few notes:
    CRA = Crap Laying Around. Never underestimate its value.

Turns out that the technique used here is a case of independant discovery. The KC Dawn Patrol guys did the exact same thing on turtle deck supports when they re-did their Nieuports back in '93.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 07-16-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.