Thread: GAC side-by-side Friday (24th) evening arrival?

GAC side-by-side Friday (24th) evening arrival?

I'm new to AirVenture, but I have researched the craze. Could anyone provide knowledge of the density of the Friday evening inbound general aviation traffic? Wittman is only open from 7pm until 8:00pm

In addition we may travel as a flight of 2 skyhawks. We know the arrival NOTAMS, single-file procedures, etc., but do you think we would be able to get two side-by-side spots in the general aviation camping area if we arrived at the same time?

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I'm from a flying club at Iowa State University and will be bringing about 15 students up (some driving) to learn about aviation and camping until Sunday.

No formation flights without prior arrangements. Get into trail at RIPON. If they try to send you to different runways, you can ask the guys at FISK if you can follow the first guy as you are together. Even if not, if you tell the parkers that you have a second plane in close proximity they'll typically let you pace off a second spot for him.

See page six of the NOTAM, which I'm sure you probably have read. Possibly you would get separated once on the ground, but on Friday evening, I highly doubt it. Good luck!
    Last edited by KCPilot; 07-15-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Relax, so many planes leave friday that there will be plenty of parking for you and they will be filling toward the front close to the action. I have been a volunteer parking in vintage for a number of years, you'll be fine.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway