Thread: Help with Chicago Approach VFR Flight Following Frequencies Please

Question Help with Chicago Approach VFR Flight Following Frequencies Please

I plan on flying VFR along the Chicago Skyway route. About 1/2 mile offshore Northbound and then
    hugging the shoreline Southbound. I'll contact Gary to traverse their airspace. Then contact Chicago for VFR Flight following.
    Southbound I'll contact Chicago Southwest of Waukegan (UGN) as I enter the Mode C veil.
    My question is what frequencies will I use?
    Northbound?
    Southbound?
    I'm pretty sure Chicago Approach will have me change freq. once I'm North or South of O'Hare?

BTW.... I'll be flying a RANS Coyote 2 at 85kts cruise.

Thanks!

Dave Rigotti

Dave, this may get a bit complicated and long but I will do my best to answer your question.......let's say your one your way up to OSH, when you contact the first controller, request (FF) flight following "with handoffs" to OSK and the controller will put you in the system and you normally won't be dropped and then have to start over with the next controller, buuuttt You want to traverse Chicago "B" airspace and Chicago doesn't like to deal with VFR traffic because they are so busy with BIG paying traffic. Remember the FARS say "work load permitting". Now that's not to say they won't but don't be surprised if they don't give you FF. The east sides freq. is 124.35. If you will be flying through multiple airspaces, ask "with handoffs" and you will find it makes you flying more enjoyable and safe. I hope this helps you. Brian

Brian,
    Thanks for the reply. I should make myself clearer. Sorry. I'm looking for FF basically ONLY thru the Class B Mode C veil going to (northbound) and returning (southbound) from OSH. I understand "workload permitting".

I'm thinking South of O'Hare Northbound I'll use 133.5 for the initial contact?
    North of O'Hare Southbound I'll use 120.55?

Dave Rigotti

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPlas View Post
    Dave, this may get a bit complicated and long but I will do my best to answer your question.......let's say your one your way up to OSH, when you contact the first controller, request (FF) flight following "with handoffs" to OSK and the controller will put you in the system and you normally won't be dropped and then have to start over with the next controller, buuuttt You want to traverse Chicago "B" airspace and Chicago doesn't like to deal with VFR traffic because they are so busy with BIG paying traffic. Remember the FARS say "work load permitting". Now that's not to say they won't but don't be surprised if they don't give you FF. The east sides freq. is 124.35. If you will be flying through multiple airspaces, ask "with handoffs" and you will find it makes you flying more enjoyable and safe. I hope this helps you. Brian

Dave- I have had zero luck trying to get FF when Chicago Approach is my first contact. I recommend making your initial request for FF at least 30 min before Chicago. One of the primary reasons I have ADS-B was a scare I had with a twin blowing past and just under me flying up the lake.

There used to be a special lakeshore frequency in operation around the weeks of the show but one of the local controllers tells me that it was in violation of some silly SOP rule so they got rid of it.