Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time to OSH - Is 4 days enough? Parking?

First time to OSH - Is 4 days enough? Parking?

Like the title says, this'll be my first time to Oshkosh after a childhood of wanting to go. I'll be driving, unfortunately, but that's not a problem - I'm just excited to be going!

Thinking of making the 7.5hr drive starting early Tuesday AM (like, 4-5am) and leaving Sat at noon. I'm a Pitts guy so the 70th anniversary is a big draw along with the forums and workshops associated with it. Hoping to see "Doc" alongside "Fifi" as well. Is this long enough? I need to be back Sunday but I could possibly stretch the arrival sooner. I know, you never see everything, but I'd like to not feel cramped for time.

2. On camping and parking: I'll need to park the truck of course, but the parking page on EAA site says "no overnight parking is allowed in EAA parking lots." So my parking pass is only good during the day? Do I even need a parking pass - in some aerial pics it seems that you park on Camp Scholler alongside the tent?

3. I'm buying admission, camping, and parking passes. Anything else I'm forgetting that I need to buy beforehand? Does this cover all the bases?
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Four days is a great start. You can see a lot of stuff, but certainly not everything. Figure out a couple of goals each day and plan around those. Maybe a workshop in the morning, a seminar in the afternoon, and walk the grounds in-between.

I've never had a car at Osh, but I believe your camping pass also comes with a vehicle pass.

I believe you've covered all of the bases. Have fun!

I drove up last year and will be driving again this year (18hrs+ each way). I did 4 days last year and it was enough although I regret not arriving sooner. My problem is that i like to wander rather than actually planning what i want to see.

And your camping pass allows your vehicle to be parked by your tent/camper. Parking pass is not required

If you are camping in Scholler yes, you just park at your campsite. You don't need to buy PARKING seperately. In fact, you don't really need to buy anything in advance, camper registration in Scholler is one of the best run things at the show. You pull in and they'll sell you your camping credentials (which includes both a card to stick to your tent/trailer and another pass for your car) as well as your show registration (wristbands) and even a program if you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    If you are camping in Scholler yes, you just park at your campsite. You don't need to buy PARKING seperately. In fact, you don't really need to buy anything in advance, camper registration in Scholler is one of the best run things at the show. You pull in and they'll sell you your camping credentials (which includes both a card to stick to your tent/trailer and another pass for your car) as well as your show registration (wristbands) and even a program if you want one.
    Good to know. I'm buying admission in advance before the price hike. Do camping prices change as the show gets closer?
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Nope. In fact, I don't think you can buy creds early. When you get there they charge you from then to the end of the show. You get refunded for any you don't use when you leave (over a three day minimum).

Good to know. Thanks Ron.

At least that used to be the way it worked. Since my wife and I volunteer an aggregate of over 120 hours most years (and the Sloshkosh year it was way more than that), I've not paid camping for a decade or so.

There is no cost advantage, but you in fact can pre-purchase camping online from the day of expected arrival now. Theoretically you may get a shorter wait as there is a 'pre paid' express lane, but as Ron mentioned the lines all move pretty quickly now. Back in the days before the computers the heavy arrival day lines would back up a bit.
    ~Jim

After 5 consecutive years attending 6 days, I always say, "Man, I wish they'd run this for 2 weeks!"