Thread: Where can I land on a beach?

Where can I land on a beach?

Hello all,

I have a Zenith 750 and am dreaming of flying to the beach. The problem is, there aren't many beach airports that I can just "walk to the beach" from my airplane in flip-flops with a cooler under my arm. I have seen dozens of Zenith 750's and 701's on a beach somewhere, but never does it say where.

What if I just landed on the far east part of St George Island? It's a state park, but secluded.
    Would I be arrested? I'm not talking about doing anything stupid, like flying over people to land.

If anyone has any beach landing experience or advice, let me know.
    This question is also posted in homebuiltairplanes.

--John

Look at the rules for State Parks and other public beaches in your State to see if landings are prohibited.

Where are you?

At the Katama Airport on Martha's Vinyard you can land on the grass runway, park, and walk into the surf...

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Well, there's Copalis Beach State Airport in Washington State...the beach *is* the official runway!

Ron Wanttaja

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Well, there's Copalis Beach State Airport in Washington State...the beach *is* the official runway!

Ron Wanttaja
    One of the coolest things about flying in Washington!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Just a little tip.
    Try to leave room to take off...

That cliff looks rather tall even if he did get airborne.

Banned
    When you find your piece of heavenly beach, this is what you'll look like. Surfs Up!

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/pic07/kibidula2.jpg

I'm with you John. Nothing more funner than beach landings. Back in the last century, when I lived in coastal Maine, it was great fun to land my Champ on the many beaches in the area. None had the map symbol for wildlife refuges or state park. The FAA could care less and the state had no law against it. The state later banned it after I left.

I now live on the Gulf coast and used to fly to destinations in LA and TX. One place in TX had an arrival near a whooping crane nesting habitat. Just imagine the grief that would come from an accidental over flight.

Another factor is the tides. In coastal Maine, there are 10 foot or more tidal rises and falls. An area 200 yds to in places 1/4 mile wide of hard packed damp sand was available at low tide. "Runway" length was measured in miles. It was like landing on concrete. By contrast, I observe that along the Gulf coast, we have 13 inches of rise and fall. The hard pack is limited between low tide mark and the dune line. And you MUST NOT defile the dunes. This could result in a T.O or landing like the vid above. Y'all be careful now! and good luck.

Bob

You can land anywhere it is safe. It's up to the "local authority," if you're discovered, to let you take off, or disassemble and trailer her out.