Thread: ADS-B and the OSH NOTAM?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not all ADS-B are equal

[QUOTE=WLIU;46818]Well, for the next 5 years not everyone will have mode S and there is some likelihood that the OSH arrival will be filled with non-mode S for some time well beyond 2020.

Mode S transponders provide one of two methods for ADS-B. Mode S transponders are assumed to be the solution for airliner-class aircraft. Universal Access Transceivers (UAT) provide ADS-B service and also provide Flight Information Service Broadcast (FIS-B). They are assumed to be the better solution for GA aircraft. I'm sure the NOTAM is silent on UAT. So strangle your parrot but, unless told otherwise, leave your UAT on.

Al B12

tejasflyer

[QUOTE=Al Burgemeister;46973]
    Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Well, for the next 5 years not everyone will have mode S and there is some likelihood that the OSH arrival will be filled with non-mode S for some time well beyond 2020.

Mode S transponders provide one of two methods for ADS-B. Mode S transponders are assumed to be the solution for airliner-class aircraft. Universal Access Transceivers (UAT) provide ADS-B service and also provide Flight Information Service Broadcast (FIS-B). They are assumed to be the better solution for GA aircraft. I'm sure the NOTAM is silent on UAT. So strangle your parrot but, unless told otherwise, leave your UAT on.

Al B12
    Bergemeister,
    I have a Garmin 400 WAAS with the GDL-88 installed in my Arrow. The Mode "C" works just fine with it. There is no need to go to the Mode "S". The mode 'S' is just another option to transmit your ADS-B OUT information.

[QUOTE=Al Burgemeister;46973]
    Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    So strangle your parrot but, unless told otherwise, leave your UAT on.

Al B12
    Most UATs use the Transponder as the Control Head (to avoid the cost of an additional control head) so if you strangle the parrot by turning the transponder to off or stby, the UAT follows suit.

I'm sure it varies by equipment, but ADS-B worked great at spotting traffic for us going into/out of OSH last summer, with the transponder off. GDL88 out/ 650 in.

Jim