Thread: Warneke Propellers - Anyone know what became of this co?

Happy Warneke Propellers - Anyone know what became of this co?

I bought a Bernie Warneke "almost constant speed" prop for my Dragonfly in the late 1980's. He made laminated wooden props; most have 5-10 layers. His had 30-35 layers, flexing under load to emulate a constant speed prop.
    I can find no record of what happened. It had been in the Tucson area then. Has anyone info on what happened? He was an older gentleman, but I thought he had an apprentice who would've taken over. Need a prop for my Cygnet and would prefer something like it.
    Thanks, Don Missoula, MT

Bernie Warnke passed away some time ago. Margie Warnke (Bernie's Daughter) made props for a few years following Bernie's passing, but has since moved on to other endeavors. They used 1/8" laminate wood cores for their props. Clarke Lydick (Performance Propellers) learned the trade from Bernie as well while he was Bernie's son-in law and made a very similar prop, but eventually sold his business. I've never seen anything from the company since it was sold.

Hey Thanks! I found this co, looks to have the multi-laminations I want! http://performancepropellersusa.com

Take a look at Catto Props also, great product.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by MT-Cygnet Don View Post
    Hey Thanks! I found this co, looks to have the multi-laminations I want! http://performancepropellersusa.com
    If the new owner has produced any props, that's (good) news to me. If Clark is still involved, I would steer clear. I used his props for a number of years until the customer service aspect of his business when into the toilet. I'm with Glenn here. Take a look at Catto as he is currently the gold standard. I'm currently using a Prince Prop (on my fast E-AB), which I also recommend. There are several other prop makers out there that make much less expensive props. If you're on a budget for your Cygnet, I'll bet Ed Sterba will make you a decent prop for about 1/3 of the price of a Catto or Prince.

Cub Builder

Hi All,
    I'm the new(not so new) owner of Performance Propellers USA. Been making props since 2009. Located here in Texas, and having a blast being involved with folks in Experimental Aviation. I'm happy to answer questions about wood props or just talk about planes. 713.417.2519
    Frank

Frank. Glad to know you're producing props. That is good news indeed.

-Cub Builder

Warneke Experimental propellelers

I actually worked as an apprentice at "Warneke Experimental Propellers" in Tucson during high school. Bernie hired me from a commendation my HS woodshop teacher made. To this day, i am still in awe over how he hand crafted and engineered each propeller built. I wish I had taken photographs from my days spent working in his shop. This reply won't help you any but I couldn't help the desire to add my comments.

We need to talk

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tomcat View Post
    I actually worked as an apprentice at "Warneke Experimental Propellers" in Tucson during high school. Bernie hired me from a commendation my HS woodshop teacher made. To this day, i am still in awe over how he hand crafted and engineered each propeller built. I wish I had taken photographs from my days spent working in his shop. This reply won't help you any but I couldn't help the desire to add my comments.
    Tommy, i would love to talk to you about your time with Bernie.