Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't say "Airplane"

Angry Don't say "Airplane"

So, I knew this already, but I thought I went into a place I could trust when looking for good Doug Fir for my airplane project. I went into my local lumber supplier and asked the guy (with whom I'd spoken before about airplane stuff -- he was interested and excited about the topic) if he had any wide-plank Douglas Fir. He said he had 2x8, 2x10, and 2x12. I said cool. He asked what I was using it for, and like a dummy I said, "for an airplane".

He went on to tell me that his was #2-grade stuff, and his suppliers didn't hand-pick lumber with a straight enough grain that it would likely require. I told him that was fine, as that's my job to pick out the right quality material, since there isn't such a thing as "certified aircraft grade lumber". He told me, "Sorry, I can't help you."

I asked him if I could take a look at what he had, to which he repeated, "My supplier doesn't hand-pick lumber of this quality. Sorry, I can't help you." He wouldn't even allow me to look at his stock.

So, lesson learned. If you're looking for Doug Fir, you're not building an airplane, you're building doors. Or a boat. Or a shed. Or go try your luck at the big box stores where you couldn't get anyone to help you find lumber, even if you were throwing $100 bills on the floor in the lumber section. Then you can peruse to your heart's content without being bothered.

I'm really disappointed in this guy, because I've done plenty of business with him. But as soon as I uttered the "A" word, I might as well have the plague. Too bad, really. Too bad.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I needed a trailer to move my newly purchased airplane home. When I went into uhaul to pick up a trailer, I mentioned an airplane was going on it. They would not rent me the trailer. Even though I moved three other airplanes on the same trailer just a few weeks before. But I never mentioned I was hauling airplanes until the last time I wanted to rent it. I went through yeck finding a trailer after that.

Never mention you are doing anything with an airplane, just keep it to yourself.

Tony

Try a dealer who deals in marine woods.

Actually, in today's litigious environment, I can't blame them.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Maybe we should all just sit in a sterilized lead-lined box with super-filtered pure oxygen, dead-bolted from the outside, wearing tin foil hats so we don't have any risk in our lives. A sad state humanity has become.
    Germantown, WI

Quote Originally Posted by frfly172 View Post
    Try a dealer who deals in marine woods.
    I'll have to see what I can find. I don't live anywhere near the water, much less a place that would sell marine wood. If it came down to it, I suppose I could plunk down the big bucks at ACS for Spruce, but I'd rather not if I can get away with it. One of my airplane buddies in a different area of the country was able to locate appropriate Doug Fir in the aviation department at Lowe's, believe it or not. Sadly, none in my local Lowe's. Still looking, though.

~Chris
    Germantown, WI

Some smaller lumber places frown on hand picking, perhaps it was more that then for what it was for.

Send some else in at a later date and buy a bunch then bring back what isn't used or wait till he's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meder View Post
    Actually, in today's litigious environment, I can't blame them.
    As annoying as it is, I don't blame them either, learned long ago never mention the word.

Banned
    I mentioned the "A" word to my first wife a few times. She's been my ex-wife for 30 years now:-)

Same thing happened to me when I wanted an oxygen cylinder to refill the built-in O2 tanks. They said I needed Aviator's Breathing Oxygen, and they didn't have any. So, I went to their competitor and got a welding torch, goggles, and acetylene and O2 cylinders.