Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locked Porta Johns in Camp Scholler

I found the port-o-lets to be plentiful, and we especially appreciated the few running water & air conditioned facilities stationed around the show.

The port-o-lets were usually well maintained - until Sunday.

Please remember that those attending the Airventure on Sunday expect things to be run like every other day. It might just be this year (and the poor weather) but Sunday felt like everyone was just shutting down and cleaning up all day. Locking up the port-o-lets Sunday morning all over Camp Scholler was a let down (and those left open were in really poor shape).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pkarmouche View Post
    I found the port-o-lets to be plentiful, and we especially appreciated the few running water & air conditioned facilities stationed around the show.

The port-o-lets were usually well maintained - until Sunday.

Please remember that those attending the Airventure on Sunday expect things to be run like every other day. It might just be this year (and the poor weather) but Sunday felt like everyone was just shutting down and cleaning up all day. Locking up the port-o-lets Sunday morning all over Camp Scholler was a let down (and those left open were in really poor shape).

Paul
    Agreed. And since we paid for camping through Sunday night, I think the EAA needs to make sure that camp services are provided until checkout time on Monday. I noticed that the west camp store and the barn store also closed down during the day on Sunday. If this is going to be the new normal, then we should only need to pay through Saturday........
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

I wasn't there Sunday, but for the reports of more than one person on this forum it sounds like EAA owes the public an apology on this subject. And no maybes, just say we were wrong and we'll do it right next year.
    I'd guess someone gave a contract to Waste Management or whoever the cleaning service was and the contract probably tried to save some money and did not specify maintaining and cleaning the toilets all through Sunday. This was not the place to cut corners. I wonder if they transport the portapotties full or clean them before moving?
    I'd guess that the person responsible for this contract and arranging to have the potties available and clean is not camped out near Scholler, most likely their office has a clean and indoor toilet, everyday, even Sunday.

Try camping down by the south 40. the Tall Pines café is not open Sunday at all. This year though not so disappointing as I found the tent café by the Vintage barn had much better food, a lot more food, and cheaper too!

L
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

On another thread, it says that by Sunday, the roads were so inundated that the pump trucks couldn't make it to many places. That wasn't true up by Warbirds, but I also heard the Scholler and South 40 got hit harder than the north end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    On another thread, it says that by Sunday, the roads were so inundated that the pump trucks couldn't make it to many places. That wasn't true up by Warbirds, but I also heard the Scholler and South 40 got hit harder than the north end.
    The roads that I drove & walked through in Scholler (Stits North end, Schaick and part of Lindbergh) were wet but not inundated. Those cleaning vehicles would have been fine. They likely would have had large puddles during the really big downpour after lunchtime - but the soil drains really well so an hour or so later it should have been fine for them.

Paul

It looked like the west end of Scholler got hit pretty good to, we were camped by Elm and 6th and a pump truck might have made it through that mud hole with a running start. On Saturday they had a skid loader dump 3 or 4 buckets of rock in it which immediately disappeared and didn't help at all, by the time we left Sat. night none of those port-a-johns had been cleaned.

Not only were most of the pot o lets locked on schaick locked but there was no hot water when I went to take a shower at the west camp ground building sunday evening.

I noticed that the port'o'pottys near our tent on Cedar were maintained spotlessly every day until Wednesday, when they started to go downhill. By Saturday they were disgusting, Sunday all were locked except for one. I left for the drive back to Texas on Sunday afternoon and seen a service truck pull up to them right as I was leaving. Seems a bit pointless to not service them when the camp is packed, then get to them when everyone is gone.

They gotta pump them out before they can load them on the truck to take them away.