Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: private pilots can be paid for flying as PIC?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Wow, paranoia is the rule of the day in this age. I seriously doubt there is anything illegal about this experiment. If I was close by, I'd definitely participate, take their money and log the time.
    +1

It's a focus group for pilots to give feedback and opinion on a product(s). Take the money, the PIC time and run. Wish I lived close. If the FAA is sanctioning this(yes, it's on their site), who are we to argue and get sanctimonious.

HHere's a thought. Contact MARK DENNIS HARDEN, Phone: (614) 255-3120 ext. 3014,
    mark.harden@faa.gov, and get a written reply from the FAA cognizant person to tape into your logbook.

Actually, you can log PIC if you're the sole manipulator of the controls. If someone else (presumably an instrurctor or commercial pilot) is actually the pilot in command during the experiment, you can be paid. The PP limitations all state "A private pilot may not act as pilot in command...."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Arnold View Post
    Here's 61.113(a): "Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft."

I have a hard time seeing how someone can legally act as PIC for "compensation" (other than the pro rata compensation from passengers for fuel) based on my reading of that section.
    There is nothing wrong with a private pilot logging pilot-in-command time and getting paid for it. As you have stated, the reg only prohibits acting as PIC for compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    and get a written reply from the FAA cognizant person to tape into your logbook.
    What for? There is nothing in my logbooks to prove the other 1000's of entries are "legit."

Wish I was there. I could work out a biennial for free...

This email came from the FAA. The FAA is sponsoring the research. The email specifically says "private pilots." I don't see an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    What for? There is nothing in my logbooks to prove the other 1000's of entries are "legit."
    The other 1000's of entries for PIC flights with private pilot certificate while being compensated? Maybe I misunderstood something. Sorry, I thought commercial cert was required to get the $10 an hour. Wait! I get it now! That's a fed-sponsored program paying less than the executive order requires for fed projects, thus it doesn't count as compensation!
    Last edited by Mike M; 07-10-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Sorry, I thought commercial cert was required to get the $10 an hour.
    That would be correct if the study requires the pilot to act as Pilot in Command of an aircraft. Apparently, that's not the case.

It does say participating pilots will be able to log pilot-in-command time but as we know the regs allow a pilot to log pilot-in-command time even when he is not acting as Pilot in Command.

At $10/hr, it's nothing more than fuel sharing. I don't know of any planes that could participate in this type of experiment that can be operated on $10/hr, so it is clearly a financial loss on the part of the pilot. The Feds re-interpret their definition of compensation regularly. Back in the early 1980s I used to fly glider tugs in return for glider time/instruction. In 1982 the Feds decided to interpret that as compensation, so I had to quit since I didn't have a commercial ticket. Last year, they re-interpreted the same situation as not being compensation, so private pilots are now allowed to fly a glider tug in return for glider time/instruction.

But thank goodness we have lots of internet lawyers to stir the paranoia and interpret the FARs for us.

-CubBuilder